Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Anisotropic permeability

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to simulate a simple model of a copper wire with dc current, and I want to look how the magnetic field looks like in the wire when the perneability is anisotropic such as mu_x=1; mu_y=2; mu_z=1. The model I used was 2D with a small circle for the cross section of the wire and a much bigger circle for the air section. The results seems odd because the B seems like anisotropic(an ellipse) while the H is also anisotropic.

And I tried to do the same thing in Ansoft and it turned out different results: The H is still anisotropic but B is isotropic (a perfect circle in other words).

I think there should be only one correct result if all the modeling steps were the same, so which one is wrong?

Thank you

2 Replies Last Post 2017年12月28日 GMT-5 20:52
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年12月28日 GMT-5 11:02

Well, anisotropic permeability should result in anisotropic fields, shouldn't it?

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Well, anisotropic permeability should result in anisotropic fields, shouldn't it? Cheers Edgar

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年12月28日 GMT-5 20:52

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, it makes sense that anisotropic permeability results in anisotropic fields, but should both the fields B and H (normB and normH in comsol) be anisotropic?

Meanwhile, I can not understand why the results of Comsol and Ansoft are different, there must be one wrong.

I added my results as a picture below my post.

Thanks again

Hi, Thank you for your reply, it makes sense that anisotropic permeability results in anisotropic fields, but should both the fields B and H (normB and normH in comsol) be anisotropic? Meanwhile, I can not understand why the results of Comsol and Ansoft are different, there must be one wrong. I added my results as a picture below my post. Thanks again

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.