Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multiple plane wave sources

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Given an antenna array of half wave dipoles. I want to measure terminal voltage at each antenna terminal when multiple plane waves are incident upon this array from different directions.

I need to know how to have multiple, independent plane wave sources in simulation?, for example one source at phi=45 degrees and the other at phi=50 degrees and many more possible.

Thanks

Irfan

2 Replies Last Post 2011年4月13日 GMT-4 09:52

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月12日 GMT-4 05:29
Are you using scattering module? In that case I feel that you could just write the analytical expression of impinging plane waves in the incident field and that should do the trick.
Are you using scattering module? In that case I feel that you could just write the analytical expression of impinging plane waves in the incident field and that should do the trick.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年4月13日 GMT-4 09:52
Thanks Shakeeb, I got this reply from COMSOL support too;
"Dear Irfan,

Thank you for contacting COMSOL Support.

Setting up multiple plane waves is the same as setting up a single plane
wave. Whereas you might currently write:
exp(j*emw.k0*(x*cos(phi)+y*sin(phi)))
you could write:
exp(j*emw.k0*(x*cos(phi)+y*sin(phi)))+exp(j*emw.k0*(x*cos(phi2)+y*sin(phi2)))

where phi and phi2 and so on are your angles of interest, and so on.

Best Regards,
Your COMSOL Technical Support Team"
Thanks Shakeeb, I got this reply from COMSOL support too; "Dear Irfan, Thank you for contacting COMSOL Support. Setting up multiple plane waves is the same as setting up a single plane wave. Whereas you might currently write: exp(j*emw.k0*(x*cos(phi)+y*sin(phi))) you could write: exp(j*emw.k0*(x*cos(phi)+y*sin(phi)))+exp(j*emw.k0*(x*cos(phi2)+y*sin(phi2))) where phi and phi2 and so on are your angles of interest, and so on. Best Regards, Your COMSOL Technical Support Team"

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.