Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Could COMSOL FSI handle contact between solids submerged in fluid?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

Could anyone address whether the COMSOL 5.3a FSI (which uses the Arbitrary Lagrangian Eulerian, ALE method) can handle contact between solids submerged in a fluid?

I am attempting to model the transport of a submerged, non-spherical solid particle driven by the drag from fluid flowing in a microchannel. I have been having issues with convergence when the solid particle hits the wall of the microchannel. The issues with convergence is likely due to mesh inversion or high distortion of the mesh. I have not been able to resolve the contact issue with both Arbitrary Lagrangian and penalty contact methods (with and without a contact offset). I believe it is due to COMSOL's ALE method with the moving mesh not capable of handling topological changes.

Others seem to be having the same issue, but I have yet to see a successful case of modeling collision of submerged solids. FSI, Solid contact in the fluid domain FSI, No support for FSI and solid contact at same boundary

I would highly appreciate a response regarding this issue.

0 Replies Last Post 2018年4月24日 GMT-4 14:56
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Raymond Yeung

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.