Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

it doesn't work depends on thickness of electrolyte

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to make the modelling to predict potential distribution under the thin electrolyte. My model consists of 2 electrodes covered with thin electrolyte.

When the thickness of electrolyte was 1mm, computation was successful and I obtained reasonable result. But, when the thickness is thin (0.02mm), it doesn't work. Boundary conditions are totally same. Only difference between them is thickness of electrolyte. I don't know what problem this model has.
I would appreciate if someone gives me some advice about it. I attached 2 files above 2 examples.

3 Replies Last Post 2015年2月12日 GMT-5 14:38
Lechoslaw Krolikowski

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年5月21日 GMT-4 10:19
Hi,
In the case of 0.02mm thickness your layer has only one mesh element across the layer. This is not enough. To obtain convergence you should increase the number of these elements .
Hi, In the case of 0.02mm thickness your layer has only one mesh element across the layer. This is not enough. To obtain convergence you should increase the number of these elements .

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年5月25日 GMT-4 17:11
Hi, Lechoslaw,

Thank you for your comment.
I tried to make fine mesh not to across the thin layer and calculate again. But it still has problem.

Error message said,
Feature:Time Dependent solver1 (Sol1/t1)
Error:Nonlinear solver did not converge.

I attached file which mesh was made finer in the domain (thin electrolyte).
I would appreciate if someone tell me what this problem is.

Thank you,
Hi, Lechoslaw, Thank you for your comment. I tried to make fine mesh not to across the thin layer and calculate again. But it still has problem. Error message said, Feature:Time Dependent solver1 (Sol1/t1) Error:Nonlinear solver did not converge. I attached file which mesh was made finer in the domain (thin electrolyte). I would appreciate if someone tell me what this problem is. Thank you,

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年2月12日 GMT-5 14:38
Hi,
You should change these things to get the model to converge:
(1) used mapped mesh for electrolyte domain with several elements through the thickness (perpendicular to surface of electrodes) and good density of nodes also in the horizontal (x direction);
(2) under Time-Dependent Solver > Fully Coupled, change Nonlinear method from Constant (Newton) to Automatic (Newton).
-DW
Hi, You should change these things to get the model to converge: (1) used mapped mesh for electrolyte domain with several elements through the thickness (perpendicular to surface of electrodes) and good density of nodes also in the horizontal (x direction); (2) under Time-Dependent Solver > Fully Coupled, change Nonlinear method from Constant (Newton) to Automatic (Newton). -DW

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.