Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

stifness matrix

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

what does this error mean ?

Undefined value found.
- Detail: Undefined value found in the stiffness matrix.
There are 70744 equations giving NaN/Inf in the matrix rows for the variable mod1.p
at coordinates: (0,0), (0,2.5e-005), (1.63166e-005,1.70061e-005), (2.5e-005,0), (0,5e-005), ...
There are 70744 equations giving NaN/Inf in the matrix rows for the variable mod1.u
at coordinates: (0,0), (0,2.5e-005), (1.63166e-005,1.70061e-005), (2.5e-005,0), (0,5e-005), ...
There are 70744 equations giving NaN/Inf in the matrix rows for the variable mod1.v
and similarly for the degrees of freedom, NaN/Inf in the matrix columns

thanks,

3 Replies Last Post 2011年5月31日 GMT-4 01:22
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年5月30日 GMT-4 01:06
Hi

this means that your dependent variables p,u,v ... cannot be solved due to an error in the stiffness matrix, some of the (most probably) material parameters are not defined correctly.
Recheck your "Material" node to see if there are not some "red flags" therein. Or you have set nu>= 0.5 or some equation you are using that is not correctly defined

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi this means that your dependent variables p,u,v ... cannot be solved due to an error in the stiffness matrix, some of the (most probably) material parameters are not defined correctly. Recheck your "Material" node to see if there are not some "red flags" therein. Or you have set nu>= 0.5 or some equation you are using that is not correctly defined -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年5月30日 GMT-4 07:48
thanks,

what do u mean by mean nu ??

I want to solve the inviscid flow, so I put dynamic viscosity to zero and activate the streamline diffusion for more convergence, when I use streamline diffusion , i get that error.

best
thanks, what do u mean by mean nu ?? I want to solve the inviscid flow, so I put dynamic viscosity to zero and activate the streamline diffusion for more convergence, when I use streamline diffusion , i get that error. best

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年5月31日 GMT-4 01:22
Hi

sorry I was thinking "solid" and Poisson "nu" which is giving similar effects if someone put nu >= 0.5, but nu=0.495 is OK

but then perhaps its the dynamic viscosity that is playing you a game ;) try 0.001 or something "small"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi sorry I was thinking "solid" and Poisson "nu" which is giving similar effects if someone put nu >= 0.5, but nu=0.495 is OK but then perhaps its the dynamic viscosity that is playing you a game ;) try 0.001 or something "small" -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.