Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

discontinuity in graph

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm trying to simulate a microfluidic channel flow with holes filled with water on the side.
I made two sets of geometries: 1) main water flow channel 2) 20 holes filled with water on the side wall.
They are assembled (not union) and are coupled with a general extrusion.

The results seem to agree wih what I expect it to be, but the problem is when I tried graphing out the velocity profile.. the line cuts off where the two geometries meet.
Would this problem be because of the meshing? Even though if it's a meshing problem, the cut off length is different than the mesh size...

Can anyone help me on how to connect the two velocity profiles smoothly?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Tae Jin Kim

3 Replies Last Post 2011年7月4日 GMT-4 03:26

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年6月30日 GMT-4 08:11
Hi,

I am not quite sure why you need a general extrusion and why you need to couple the same physics twice over. Wouldn't it be much better if you were using just one domain onyl and then eventually separate the velocity curves during post-processing?

Cheers
Hi, I am not quite sure why you need a general extrusion and why you need to couple the same physics twice over. Wouldn't it be much better if you were using just one domain onyl and then eventually separate the velocity curves during post-processing? Cheers

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年7月1日 GMT-4 11:19
Hi Amir,

Actually, I will be using different physics in the holes.
I just wanted to test out with the simplest case: same physics and material.

Thanks.

TJ
Hi Amir, Actually, I will be using different physics in the holes. I just wanted to test out with the simplest case: same physics and material. Thanks. TJ

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年7月4日 GMT-4 03:26
Hi,

I am sorry but I can't follow you. Fluid dynamics is going to be the only phisics you need, of course if you need to couple it with mass transfer or heat transfer you will use one of the 'fancier' modules (non-isothermal flow etc...). Exactly what additional physics are you going to use?

Cheers
Hi, I am sorry but I can't follow you. Fluid dynamics is going to be the only phisics you need, of course if you need to couple it with mass transfer or heat transfer you will use one of the 'fancier' modules (non-isothermal flow etc...). Exactly what additional physics are you going to use? Cheers

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.