Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrodeposition Problems at edges

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model electrodeposition of copper on an angled part, but at the edges where the part is masked the mesh goes crazy. I can get it to work by chopping off the edges, but the edges is where all the interesting stuff happens. I have tried remeshing but it just goes crazy (see attached images) Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

2 Replies Last Post 2011年10月20日 GMT-4 13:47
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月19日 GMT-4 01:29
Hi

as you say the interesting things happen at the angles, I expect that is why COMSOL is meshing very dense. Normally it's the "Resolution of curvature" parameter in the "Size" tab that looks after this, in conjunction with the other parameters. Take a look at the mesh chapter in the doc. Probably there is a specific one for the ElectroDepos one too.

It takes some time to understand all the buttons in COMSOL, but if you play a little with a simple cube (with 4 rounded off angles, use a work plane, square, fillet and extrude), you quickly can get the grasp of the different parameters, but it's worth the time and effort ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi as you say the interesting things happen at the angles, I expect that is why COMSOL is meshing very dense. Normally it's the "Resolution of curvature" parameter in the "Size" tab that looks after this, in conjunction with the other parameters. Take a look at the mesh chapter in the doc. Probably there is a specific one for the ElectroDepos one too. It takes some time to understand all the buttons in COMSOL, but if you play a little with a simple cube (with 4 rounded off angles, use a work plane, square, fillet and extrude), you quickly can get the grasp of the different parameters, but it's worth the time and effort ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月20日 GMT-4 13:47
I have played with the parameters a lot, but I think what I need is the ability to remesh, if the mesh only advances normal to the original surface the deposit will never be correct. However, when I remesh it looks completely different from the previous solution. I have tried remeshing shapes with a smoother surface and it works just fine, but I can't get it to work for a more irregular surface. Any suggestions?
I have played with the parameters a lot, but I think what I need is the ability to remesh, if the mesh only advances normal to the original surface the deposit will never be correct. However, when I remesh it looks completely different from the previous solution. I have tried remeshing shapes with a smoother surface and it works just fine, but I can't get it to work for a more irregular surface. Any suggestions?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.