Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

High Mach Number Flow - Gas Expanding Into Vacuum

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The geometry I modeled can be thought of as a straw into a 'large' chamber in the 2D-axisymmetric space dimension. The idea is to simulate gas flow into a vacuum chamber through a simple nozzle. I have been unable to get a solution to converge and I'm curious if anyone else has tried to simulate a similar configuration and has experienced problems with external flow when using the High Mach Number Flow module? I have varied the mesh size, initial conditions, the 'vacuum chamber' size, etc. to no avail. The only instance that leads to convergence on a solution is when the 'vacuum chamber' radius is made narrow enough so that the flow could be considered internal.

Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply Last Post 2012年1月11日 GMT-5 15:43
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kettu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年1月11日 GMT-5 15:43
I'm trying to do the same thing and am having similar problems. Daniel Smith of COMSOL told me that he doesn't think COMSOL Multiphysics can be used in this way. Have you tried contacting COMSOL directly about this? What did they say?
I'm trying to do the same thing and am having similar problems. Daniel Smith of COMSOL told me that he doesn't think COMSOL Multiphysics can be used in this way. Have you tried contacting COMSOL directly about this? What did they say?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.