Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deformation and Capacitance of Structured PDMS Dielectric

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi COMSOL Forums,

I'm currently working on a simulation of capacitors with structured PDMS as a dielectric. I want to model the change in capacitance with a change in boundary load/pressure. My current model assumes that the top boundary of the PDMS has an applied voltage and applied boundary load. At the bottom of the film, there is a silicon film which acts as ground and a rigid base. The structure for the PDMS film I have currently selected is a triangular shape.

I have the mechanics portion of the simulation solved. I am using a stationary study and sweeping boundary loads. The geometry is constructed as an assembly. The deformation is modelled using contact-pair & solid mechanics assuming/forcing linear strains. (Currently, I do not have the non-linear mechanics package.) The deformation of the dielectric under pressure can be seen clearly and is quite large. The side walls of the triangle should come into contact with the base. I have also been able to successfully couple electrostatics in these domains. The simulation only takes into account the PDMS and silicon film but doesn’t include the vacuum/air surrounding the structure.

I would like to know add a vacuum/air environment in the remaining space between the PDMS and base. I have tried adding a deformed mesh to the remaining space but my solution does not converge. I'm not sure how I can couple the physics and deforming mesh together. Does anyone know what may be causing my problem and a possible solution?

Please let me know if what I am saying is unclear.

Thanks for your time and help, Michael

1 Reply Last Post 2019年7月12日 GMT-4 19:16

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年7月12日 GMT-4 19:16
Updated: 5 years ago 2019年7月12日 GMT-4 19:08

I've updated my simulation to include a moving mesh for the free space domain. After reaching a certain pressure, the mesh elements in the free space region collapse. Is there a way to have remesh the free space domain when using a stationary solver? Does anyone know of a possible alternative?

I've updated my simulation to include a moving mesh for the free space domain. After reaching a certain pressure, the mesh elements in the free space region collapse. Is there a way to have remesh the free space domain when using a stationary solver? Does anyone know of a possible alternative?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.