Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to give sinusoidal voltage to a Piezoelectric material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
i wanted to give a sinusoidal electric potential to a piezoelectric material.
As of now I tried giving a DC 100V by selecting the electric potential boundary condition under the electrostatics physics module.
I did see the option of sine source in --electrical circuits>voltage source, but i was not sure what node parameters to select and I end up having an error if I use the default values.
So, can anyone tell me which method should I follow, or to follow something else. Thank you.

3 Replies Last Post 2016年7月28日 GMT-4 18:14
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月22日 GMT-5 01:24
Hi

you have at least two ways:

1) you use a transient time dependent solver and write out the voltage or any excitation dependency as

V0*sin(2*pi*frew*t)

then wait quite some time to see the solver resolve this with a time stepping of at least 5*freq per second

2) you use the harmonic solver, based on a harmonic development of the physic equations. You define the excitation amplitude V0 and get out the amplitude or rms (pls check carefully the doc and the equations for the variable you are using) at a given frequency, in one solver step

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have at least two ways: 1) you use a transient time dependent solver and write out the voltage or any excitation dependency as V0*sin(2*pi*frew*t) then wait quite some time to see the solver resolve this with a time stepping of at least 5*freq per second 2) you use the harmonic solver, based on a harmonic development of the physic equations. You define the excitation amplitude V0 and get out the amplitude or rms (pls check carefully the doc and the equations for the variable you are using) at a given frequency, in one solver step -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月22日 GMT-5 07:05
Hi Ivar,
I tried the first suggested way and I think it worked. Thank you
Hi Ivar, I tried the first suggested way and I think it worked. Thank you

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年7月28日 GMT-4 18:14

Hi

you have at least two ways:

1) you use a transient time dependent solver and write out the voltage or any excitation dependency as

V0*sin(2*pi*frew*t)

then wait quite some time to see the solver resolve this with a time stepping of at least 5*freq per second

2) you use the harmonic solver, based on a harmonic development of the physic equations. You define the excitation amplitude V0 and get out the amplitude or rms (pls check carefully the doc and the equations for the variable you are using) at a given frequency, in one solver step

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi Ivar,

I am not sure that I completely understand the first method. So in component variables I set V0 to be 200 [V] and frew to be 36000 [Hz]. I copied and pasted the equation into the voltage in the electric potential BC in electrostatics and I have a time dependent solver set up (is that the same as transient?). So my time step should be 180000 [s] because that is 5 times my frequency?

Thank you,
[QUOTE] Hi you have at least two ways: 1) you use a transient time dependent solver and write out the voltage or any excitation dependency as V0*sin(2*pi*frew*t) then wait quite some time to see the solver resolve this with a time stepping of at least 5*freq per second 2) you use the harmonic solver, based on a harmonic development of the physic equations. You define the excitation amplitude V0 and get out the amplitude or rms (pls check carefully the doc and the equations for the variable you are using) at a given frequency, in one solver step -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi Ivar, I am not sure that I completely understand the first method. So in component variables I set V0 to be 200 [V] and frew to be 36000 [Hz]. I copied and pasted the equation into the voltage in the electric potential BC in electrostatics and I have a time dependent solver set up (is that the same as transient?). So my time step should be 180000 [s] because that is 5 times my frequency? Thank you,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.