Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Changing permability in each element as function of particles - but how ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm pretty hardstuck here on simulating a filter. The case: Each time a particle goes through the porous media, the permability should increase by a factor of 2 or more in the given element for which the particle is within.

I am aware that the free and porous media flow has to be recalculated for each time step , and currently is dissabled. This is due to the fact that i cannot change the permability as a function of the fpt.rpd variable. The initial run fails because of a divison by zero ( because fpt.rpd is 0 until any particle enters the domain :-)....)

I can show that the mesh element contains a particle and is therefore painted green

Its just an example case, so dont mind the mesh size or timestep size etc. this would be incorporated into a more whole model - when i understand this :-)

Any input would be much appreciated. Best regards Per.

1 Reply Last Post 2019年9月3日 GMT-4 08:25

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年9月3日 GMT-4 08:25

An update.

I got it to run.

The model diverges when one of the particles hits the porous medium and the permeability changes for that specific cell. The result clearly shows one time step is successful but it fails to calculate the rest.

My plan is still to get a function working for the permeability but i want the test model to be successful first.

Best regards. Per

An update. I got it to run. The model diverges when one of the particles hits the porous medium and the permeability changes for that specific cell. The result clearly shows one time step is successful but it fails to calculate the rest. My plan is still to get a function working for the permeability but i want the test model to be successful first. Best regards. Per

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.