Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

why does changing semi-infinite air layer thickness affect reflectance result when simulating metallic gratings?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate the reflectance/absorptance of a metallic grating. The system consists of rectangular Au grating, with a thin polymer layer on top. Above the polymer is air. I have attached the mph file.

The problem is that when I change the thickness (height) of the air layer, the reflectance vs incident angle graph changes, The first absorptance peak (smallest incident angle) stays the same, but the (smaller) peaks at larger incident angle change with the air layer thickness. When I kept the air layer thickness the same and change the thickness of the Au bulk, the results are identical even for absorptance peaks at larger incident angles. This seems strange as I expect changing the thickness of the semi-infinite layers to have no impact of the reflectance.

Are there some problems in my simulations, or am I missing some important physics (i.e. the reflectance does change with air thickness)?

thanks

0 Replies Last Post 2019年9月2日 GMT-4 20:56
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Physics student

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.