Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Prescribed Displacement vs Boundary Load

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm new to comsol and trying to figure something out. I'm making a helix geometry of some thickness, and trying to stretch it along the long axis. When I use a prescribed displacement, the helix elongates, only in the long (z) axis, as I like. However, I would like to instead use a force (of known amount) to stretch the helix. When I apply a boundary load to the end boundary of the helix, the displacement now goes out of plane, not just in the z direction. Does anyone know why this is happening/how to keep the extension only in the z direction?

1 Reply Last Post 2020年3月9日 GMT-4 11:38
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年3月9日 GMT-4 11:38

If the force resultant is not at the center of the helix, it will bend, since you implicitly apply a moment. With a prescribed displacement, you force it not to bend.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
If the force resultant is not at the center of the helix, it will bend, since you implicitly apply a moment. With a prescribed displacement, you force it not to bend.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.