Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrical impedance of a piezoelectric device

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The electrical impedance of a piezo device, piezoelectric transformer e.g. around a resonance mode, can be electrical model with the as a LCR brance in parallel with a capacitor: "LCR||C". Equivalent to the Mason model of a piezoelectric transformer with either secondary or primary side short-circuited. The amplitude plot of the impedance around resonance will first have a resonance-peak followed by a anti-resonance-peak.

To narrow the problem down the, we look at a 2D model consisting of an simple rectangle shape.

-Using COMSOL 3.5 or 3.5a the electrical impedance of the 2D model matches the electrical "LCR||C" equivalent and a real-life measurement confirms the result.

-Using COMSOL 4.xx to simulate the same model dose not fully match the "LCR||C" equivalent. The resonance-peak is fine. The anti-resonance-peak seems to have the right frequency, however the impedance is fare from high enough. In the electrical domain a low anti-resonance-peak is equivalent to a material with to high conductivity. The material parameter nor the physics uses conductivity or similar as I'm aware of!?

What have changed in the physics from COMSOL 3.5a to COMSOL 4.xx?? Are there something that I miss in my model??

PS I have treble checked the material parameters and they are identical from 3.5a to 4.xx

Attached is plots that illustrate the problem.

2 Replies Last Post 2013年9月23日 GMT-4 06:43
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Thomas Andersen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年9月23日 GMT-4 05:49
Dear Thomas,
I cannot open your pdf file....the error says it was not attached properly.
If you solved the problem could you please share.
I am having trouble plotting the impedance vs frqeq plot for PZD.

Thanks,
Megha

QUOTE]
The electrical impedance of a piezo device, piezoelectric transformer e.g. around a resonance mode, can be electrical model with the as a LCR brance in parallel with a capacitor: "LCR||C". Equivalent to the Mason model of a piezoelectric transformer with either secondary or primary side short-circuited. The amplitude plot of the impedance around resonance will first have a resonance-peak followed by a anti-resonance-peak.

To narrow the problem down the, we look at a 2D model consisting of an simple rectangle shape.

-Using COMSOL 3.5 or 3.5a the electrical impedance of the 2D model matches the electrical "LCR||C" equivalent and a real-life measurement confirms the result.

-Using COMSOL 4.xx to simulate the same model dose not fully match the "LCR||C" equivalent. The resonance-peak is fine. The anti-resonance-peak seems to have the right frequency, however the impedance is fare from high enough. In the electrical domain a low anti-resonance-peak is equivalent to a material with to high conductivity. The material parameter nor the physics uses conductivity or similar as I'm aware of!?

What have changed in the physics from COMSOL 3.5a to COMSOL 4.xx?? Are there something that I miss in my model??

PS I have treble checked the material parameters and they are identical from 3.5a to 4.xx

Attached is plots that illustrate the problem.

Dear Thomas, I cannot open your pdf file....the error says it was not attached properly. If you solved the problem could you please share. I am having trouble plotting the impedance vs frqeq plot for PZD. Thanks, Megha QUOTE] The electrical impedance of a piezo device, piezoelectric transformer e.g. around a resonance mode, can be electrical model with the as a LCR brance in parallel with a capacitor: "LCR||C". Equivalent to the Mason model of a piezoelectric transformer with either secondary or primary side short-circuited. The amplitude plot of the impedance around resonance will first have a resonance-peak followed by a anti-resonance-peak. To narrow the problem down the, we look at a 2D model consisting of an simple rectangle shape. -Using COMSOL 3.5 or 3.5a the electrical impedance of the 2D model matches the electrical "LCR||C" equivalent and a real-life measurement confirms the result. -Using COMSOL 4.xx to simulate the same model dose not fully match the "LCR||C" equivalent. The resonance-peak is fine. The anti-resonance-peak seems to have the right frequency, however the impedance is fare from high enough. In the electrical domain a low anti-resonance-peak is equivalent to a material with to high conductivity. The material parameter nor the physics uses conductivity or similar as I'm aware of!? What have changed in the physics from COMSOL 3.5a to COMSOL 4.xx?? Are there something that I miss in my model?? PS I have treble checked the material parameters and they are identical from 3.5a to 4.xx Attached is plots that illustrate the problem. [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年9月23日 GMT-4 06:43
Dear Megha

I have the same problem with the PDF, unfortunately i do not have the original PDF any more. However, as I recall the problem was solved by correcting the direction of the material polarization.

If you explain your problem in details and upload your model I might be able to help

/Thomas
Dear Megha I have the same problem with the PDF, unfortunately i do not have the original PDF any more. However, as I recall the problem was solved by correcting the direction of the material polarization. If you explain your problem in details and upload your model I might be able to help /Thomas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.