Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

differences

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
can anyone point me the big differences between the versions 3.4 (3.5) and the 4.0.x versions which are the latest in terms of function, i don't mean the interface differences except if they are related to the performance.

thanks in advance

4 Replies Last Post 2012年1月30日 GMT-5 10:05
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年1月30日 GMT-5 08:10
Hi
For me, the most stable and best functionality v3 is the 3.5a. The V4 was a major change in the GUI approach ans a reorganising of the physics definition, personally I find the current 4.2a at least as stable as the 3.5a, and much nicer and easier to build models, to mesh them and sovle them. Not to say many more functionalities, and physics combinations.

There is a rather hughe difference in the user-software interface between v3 and v4. Personally I would NOT advise anybody to learn 3.5 if he had the opportunity to use v4

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi For me, the most stable and best functionality v3 is the 3.5a. The V4 was a major change in the GUI approach ans a reorganising of the physics definition, personally I find the current 4.2a at least as stable as the 3.5a, and much nicer and easier to build models, to mesh them and sovle them. Not to say many more functionalities, and physics combinations. There is a rather hughe difference in the user-software interface between v3 and v4. Personally I would NOT advise anybody to learn 3.5 if he had the opportunity to use v4 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年1月30日 GMT-5 08:28
Thank you very much. I myself first started with 3.4/3.5 version and directly jumped to the 4 versions and was quite impressed of the way to determine the physics. And i wasn't sure is it just the smoothnees of the user iterface that is changed or also something in the way of calculation the problems. Obviously not.

Regards
Thank you very much. I myself first started with 3.4/3.5 version and directly jumped to the 4 versions and was quite impressed of the way to determine the physics. And i wasn't sure is it just the smoothnees of the user iterface that is changed or also something in the way of calculation the problems. Obviously not. Regards

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年1月30日 GMT-5 09:53
Hi

the equations underneat are the same, the maths too (from my knowledge) but variables naming and approaches has changed, so if you are used to 3.5 do expect a few weeks to learn the new way. But once you know the "new" way, you will rapidly ask yourself why go back ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the equations underneat are the same, the maths too (from my knowledge) but variables naming and approaches has changed, so if you are used to 3.5 do expect a few weeks to learn the new way. But once you know the "new" way, you will rapidly ask yourself why go back ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年1月30日 GMT-5 10:05
thank you very much for the answer

regards
thank you very much for the answer regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.