Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Trouble importing complex solids designed in blender

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm new to comsol, and since I don't have access to a wind tunnel currently I'm trying to test lift and drag coefficients on some 3d models. The model is a 3d lizard made in blender and it is very complex. I usually export the model from blender as an stl, then use a separate program to convert it to a step file.

Unfortunately I'm having some trouble importing my model (which I designed in blender) as a solid. I can import it as a mesh stl, however when I try to import as a solid step file I get "internal error in geometry processing, internal error code 900".

I tried completely simplifying the model in blender, and when I do it imports as a solid, but it takes hours to load and comes up with dozens of errors.

What can I do to successfully load in this complex model? Should I give up on using blender (which I'm now acquainted with) in favor of a different program? Any ideas?

Thanks, Jaden

1 Reply Last Post 2020年6月17日 GMT-4 17:14
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年6月17日 GMT-4 17:14
Updated: 4 years ago 2020年6月17日 GMT-4 17:15

Hi Jaden,

Before you give up on Blender, or on whichever program you've been using to convert the stl into a step file, try importing your stl in version 5.5. 5.5 is much stronger than 5.3 in that area.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Jaden, Before you give up on Blender, or on whichever program you've been using to convert the stl into a step file, try importing your stl in version 5.5. 5.5 is much stronger than 5.3 in that area. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.