Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Debugging mesh import

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

In a previous post I asked about topological issues, and that was solved. So I began working on an exporter from a mesher I developed to mphtxt.

However, I am finding problems in moving from a simple tetrahedron, to a prism, but I don't find any log (even in the debug log window). The only output I see is

A problem occurred when building mesh feature 'Import 1'. Error reading file. - Line number: 42

The weird part is that line 42 is a comment line. Moreover, it is a simple copy/paste from the tetrahedron that COMSOL imports without problems.

How can I debug this issue? I am attaching the two files and pasting down here.

Thanks for any pointers! Franco

Here's the tetrahedron that works:

# Major & minor version (For the current version, supported by COMSOL Multiphysics version 5.5, the first two entries in a file are 0 1)
0 1 
# Number of tags (The tags are strings that function as identifiers so that objects can refer to each other)
# Tags (The number preceding the tag name is the number of characters in the string)
6 mesh23
# Number of types (In the current version, 0 1, of the COMSOL native data format, types are not used and are ignored.)
# Types
7 ignored

# -----------------------------
# --------- Object 0 ----------

# Mandatory header
0 0 1 
# Object type (String that defines which type of object follows)
4 Mesh
# Version of internal COMSOL class
# Space dimension

# Number of mesh vertices
# Lowest mesh vertex index
# Mesh vertex coordinates (x, y, z)
0 0 0 
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1

# Number of element types (0-based indexing)
# Element type #0
# Type name (The number preceding the tag name is the number of characters in the string)
3 tet
# Number of vertices per element
# Number of elements
# Elements
0 1 2 3

# Number of geometric entity indices (domains?)
# Geometric entity indices

The prism does not work:

# Major & minor version (For the current version, supported by COMSOL Multiphysics version 5.5, the first two entries in a file are 0 1)
0 1 
# Number of tags (The tags are strings that function as identifiers so that objects can refer to each other)
# Tags (The number preceding the tag name is the number of characters in the string)
6 mesh23
# Number of types (In the current version, 0 1, of the COMSOL native data format, types are not used and are ignored.)
# Types
7 ignored

# --------- Object 0 ----------

# Mandatory header
0 0 1 
# Object type (String that defines which type of object follows)
4 Mesh
# Version of internal COMSOL class
# Space dimension

# Number of mesh vertices
# Lowest mesh vertex index
# Mesh vertex coordinates (x, y, z)
0 0 0 
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1
1 0 1
0 1 1 

# Number of element types (0-based indexing)
# Element type #0
# Type name (The number preceding the tag name is the number of characters in the string)
3 tet
# Number of vertices per element <------- THIS IS LINE 42
# Number of elements
# Elements
0 1 2 3
2 3 1 4
4 3 5 2

# Number of geometric entity indices (domains?)
# Geometric entity indices (each element belongs to domain number?)

0 Replies Last Post 2020年6月23日 GMT-4 12:39
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Franco Milicchio

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.