Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Open Boundary Condition in Tranposrt of Dilute Species

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am working with a model where I am only simulating a small subset of the complete geometry. This is essentially a circular pipe with perforations. I am not simulating nor incorporating the larger vessel in which the fluid leaks into. My models shows that some fluid may be leaving the pipe in the first few perforations and entering in the second portion of my pipe. Due to this velocity/flow observation, I need to implement different boundary conditions when addding in my transport of diluted species equation. I would like to use the Open Boundary condition on the perforation so that I can define the concentration outside of the tube. This si very important for the second half of my pipe where flow in coming back into the tube.

When I try to implement this Open Boundary condition on my holes in steady state mode, I get: Attempt to evaluate negative power of zero. - Function: ^" .

Does any know how to properly define thuis type of boundary condition.

2 Replies Last Post 2012年3月23日 GMT-4 03:45

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年2月24日 GMT-5 14:33
Hi Melanie!

I don't know does this has anything to do with open boundary but I had similar problems in my Transport of Dilute Species model. I made variable "C" which is defined by "if(c<0,eps,c)" under Definitions => Variables. Instead of concentration "c" I used variable "C". Now variable "C" is never below zero. Eps is very small number defined is Comsol.

Does this help you?

Best regard

Tero
Hi Melanie! I don't know does this has anything to do with open boundary but I had similar problems in my Transport of Dilute Species model. I made variable "C" which is defined by "if(c

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月23日 GMT-4 03:45
would u plz attach the file you are working on?
would u plz attach the file you are working on?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.