Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Ray heating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I want to heat a tungsten carbide using a laser. I want to see how the temperature is distribution looks inside the material. Then I want to change the diameter of the incident ray and check for the distribution. So is ray heating the correct package and if yes how can i do it? of no, then which package should i refer to?

thanks.

2 Replies Last Post 2020年10月13日 GMT-4 10:05
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年8月25日 GMT-4 15:28
Updated: 4 years ago 2020年8月26日 GMT-4 11:38

Hello Omkar,

Frequently laser heating is modeled by solving the heat transfer equation under the assumption of a heat source profile applied to the surface. In that approach, you only solve the heat transfer equation, subject to the assumed thermal load. This keeps the model quite simple, and suitable when the material is opaque at the wavelength in question. The heat source can be made to move over time if need be; this blog post presents several ways of achieving this.

For more sophisticated approaches that consider partially transparent materials, see also this other blog post on laser-material interactions.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Omkar, Frequently laser heating is modeled by solving the heat transfer equation under the assumption of a heat source profile applied to the surface. In that approach, you only solve the heat transfer equation, subject to the assumed thermal load. This keeps the model quite simple, and suitable when the material is opaque at the wavelength in question. The heat source can be made to move over time if need be; [this blog post]( https://www.comsol.com/blogs/3-approaches-to-modeling-moving-loads-and-constraints-in-comsol/) presents several ways of achieving this. For more sophisticated approaches that consider partially transparent materials, see also [this other blog post](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-laser-material-interactions-in-comsol-multiphysics/) on laser-material interactions. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年10月13日 GMT-4 10:05

Hi Jeff, thank you very much for your advice, I already seen this post and unfortunatelly i did not find a useful solution for me. I agree with you with the use of a simple model by defining the heat source profile on the surface but this is the point I am unable to solve. Thank you...

Hi Jeff, thank you very much for your advice, I already seen this post and unfortunatelly i did not find a useful solution for me. I agree with you with the use of a simple model by defining the heat source profile on the surface but this is the point I am unable to solve. Thank you...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.