Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Dielectric heating between parallel plate electrodes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all, I'm fairly new to Comsol. What I'm trying to do is model the heating of a dielectric in between two parallel plate electrodes at a frequency of 27.12 MHz. I would appreciate any suggestion as to which physics to use. Thanks in advance.

19 Replies Last Post 2016年1月20日 GMT-5 09:45

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月26日 GMT-4 04:36
You can search for some papers for references. The electric currents and heat transfer are combined for this problem.
You can search for some papers for references. The electric currents and heat transfer are combined for this problem.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月26日 GMT-4 04:51
Jianhui,

Thank you for your response. Do you know of any tutorials by any chance?

Jianhui, Thank you for your response. Do you know of any tutorials by any chance?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月16日 GMT-4 00:38
You may need to try "Joule heating" model, which is just a combination of electric current and heat transfer.
You may need to try "Joule heating" model, which is just a combination of electric current and heat transfer.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月16日 GMT-4 02:31
Yang, thank you for your message. I will try that.
Yang, thank you for your message. I will try that.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月16日 GMT-4 03:27
Hallo, did you solve your problem? I have the same. Is it diathermy heating, isn´t it? I don´t know how to bring AC (27.12MHZ) to the plate capacitor.
Lucie
Hallo, did you solve your problem? I have the same. Is it diathermy heating, isn´t it? I don´t know how to bring AC (27.12MHZ) to the plate capacitor. Lucie

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月16日 GMT-4 03:37
Hello Lucie,

Not yet. My problem is actually RF heating of food placed between two plates. I will share with you in case I have any progress. In the mean time, good luck.

Hello Lucie, Not yet. My problem is actually RF heating of food placed between two plates. I will share with you in case I have any progress. In the mean time, good luck.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月17日 GMT-4 13:23
Dear Koray,
maybe I find a solution. I used AC/DC - Electric current and Heat Trensfer - Bioheat. I modeled two plates (cooper) - the first I signed as Boundary Current Source - enter value of Surface current source, the second plate is ground. Then I used frequecny domain study step with frequency 27.12MHz. Between plates I have knee with appropriate material properties. In Bioheat you have to mark a biological tissue and Heat souce.

Maybe it could help you.
With regards Lucie
Dear Koray, maybe I find a solution. I used AC/DC - Electric current and Heat Trensfer - Bioheat. I modeled two plates (cooper) - the first I signed as Boundary Current Source - enter value of Surface current source, the second plate is ground. Then I used frequecny domain study step with frequency 27.12MHz. Between plates I have knee with appropriate material properties. In Bioheat you have to mark a biological tissue and Heat souce. Maybe it could help you. With regards Lucie

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月17日 GMT-4 16:27
Dear Lucie, thank you for your message. This definitely gives some ideas. How did your results look like? Did you get a resaonable temperature increase etc.?
Dear Lucie, thank you for your message. This definitely gives some ideas. How did your results look like? Did you get a resaonable temperature increase etc.?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月18日 GMT-4 03:13
Hi Koray,
for heat transfer I used time dependent study type and after 10 minutes of application is temperature incerase something about 1.5degC (with surface current source 100A/m^2). It is ok for diathermy heating. It will change with the distance of electrodes.
Hi Koray, for heat transfer I used time dependent study type and after 10 minutes of application is temperature incerase something about 1.5degC (with surface current source 100A/m^2). It is ok for diathermy heating. It will change with the distance of electrodes.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月24日 GMT-4 23:32
Sorry, I do not have any tutorials. The modeling work by Washington State U in food engineering may help you.
Sorry, I do not have any tutorials. The modeling work by Washington State U in food engineering may help you.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月24日 GMT-4 23:33
Joule heating is different from RF heating.
Joule heating is different from RF heating.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月24日 GMT-4 23:34
You can renfer to the models in COMSOL.
You can renfer to the models in COMSOL.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月8日 GMT-4 17:09
It is different, but if you want to simulate the parallel plate capacitive heating, this is the only model you can use in COMSOL. The RF module can only be applied on microwave heating (with waveguide) case.
It is different, but if you want to simulate the parallel plate capacitive heating, this is the only model you can use in COMSOL. The RF module can only be applied on microwave heating (with waveguide) case.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月18日 GMT-4 13:04
You need AC/DC module to simualte RF heating in parallel plate electrodes system.
You need AC/DC module to simualte RF heating in parallel plate electrodes system.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月18日 GMT-4 15:52
Hi

Take care about the underlying hypothesis that are used for ACDC and RF: basically E field wavelength much larger respectively much smaller than the dimension of the model.
When in between, both are more or less as wrong or as bad
Check the doc
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Take care about the underlying hypothesis that are used for ACDC and RF: basically E field wavelength much larger respectively much smaller than the dimension of the model. When in between, both are more or less as wrong or as bad Check the doc -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月6日 GMT-5 19:30
Hi all,

If you want to heat the workloads at the RF range or microwave frequency, I want to recommed you this book 'Enginners' handbook of industrial microwave heating'.

I think that 'Joule's heat' is not the dominant factor in this situation, dipolar heat will be the main sorce of heating.

I'm also interested in parallel plate heating such as as dielectrics which are put on conductors.

I want to share your ideas and thesis.

Thanks.
Hi all, If you want to heat the workloads at the RF range or microwave frequency, I want to recommed you this book 'Enginners' handbook of industrial microwave heating'. I think that 'Joule's heat' is not the dominant factor in this situation, dipolar heat will be the main sorce of heating. I'm also interested in parallel plate heating such as as dielectrics which are put on conductors. I want to share your ideas and thesis. Thanks.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月19日 GMT-5 10:51
Just came on line and see the question of RF heating. I am sure I can help, I have been testing with RF for several years with a wide range of dielectric materials. If you are still looking at the question let me know.
Just came on line and see the question of RF heating. I am sure I can help, I have been testing with RF for several years with a wide range of dielectric materials. If you are still looking at the question let me know.

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年1月17日 GMT-5 07:06
Hello David
I have the same problem mentioned in the topic. Which one is more efficient to simulate parallel plate RF heating? Ansys HFSS coupled with transient thermal analysis? or using COMSOL RF or AC/DC module? Some friends above have said that RF module is convenient for microwave heating. so I am a bit confused.

Thank you in advance
Hello David I have the same problem mentioned in the topic. Which one is more efficient to simulate parallel plate RF heating? Ansys HFSS coupled with transient thermal analysis? or using COMSOL RF or AC/DC module? Some friends above have said that RF module is convenient for microwave heating. so I am a bit confused. Thank you in advance

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年1月20日 GMT-5 09:45
Hello,

Regarding the topic of dielectric heating between parallel plate electrodes, you will find this article helpful:
www.comsol.com/blogs/study-radiofrequency-tissue-ablation-using-simulation/

as well as this example model of a parallel plate capacitor in the frequency domain:
www.comsol.com/model/frequency-domain-modeling-of-a-capacitor-12693

and also the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics, which shows how to couple an Electric Currents physics to Heat Transfer:
cdn.comsol.com/documentation/5.1.0.180/IntroductionToCOMSOLMultiphysics.pdf

Hello, Regarding the topic of dielectric heating between parallel plate electrodes, you will find this article helpful: http://www.comsol.com/blogs/study-radiofrequency-tissue-ablation-using-simulation/ as well as this example model of a parallel plate capacitor in the frequency domain: http://www.comsol.com/model/frequency-domain-modeling-of-a-capacitor-12693 and also the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics, which shows how to couple an Electric Currents physics to Heat Transfer: http://cdn.comsol.com/documentation/5.1.0.180/IntroductionToCOMSOLMultiphysics.pdf

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.