Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Volume Force

Jean-Pierre Bedecarrats

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am trying to model free convection in air and water using the Boussinesq approximation.
I use a volume force but I hesitate in the right value of this term.
I have seen a lot of example with two cases : -g_const*(spf.rho-rho_ref) ou only -g_const*spf.rho.
What is the good value ?

Thank you for your advice.

Regards

4 Replies Last Post 2015年9月9日 GMT-4 08:04

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月11日 GMT-4 21:17
Hi Jean
I believe it is the second one, (-g_const*spf.rho).
The rho_ref is cancelled with the pressure term in N-S equation. Please see a brief discussion in Bird Transport Phenomena book (Section 10.9)
Good luck
Ahmed
Hi Jean I believe it is the second one, (-g_const*spf.rho). The rho_ref is cancelled with the pressure term in N-S equation. Please see a brief discussion in Bird Transport Phenomena book (Section 10.9) Good luck Ahmed

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月12日 GMT-4 13:47
For most cases both should work, and the second one will also generate a pressure gradient in the direction of gravity as Ahmed mentioned. Also if you don’t have density as a function of temperature, you can use the following more approximate (and sometimes sufficient) force term: g_const*rho*beta*(T-T_ref) where beta is the volumetric thermal expansion coefficient and T is the temperature.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
For most cases both should work, and the second one will also generate a pressure gradient in the direction of gravity as Ahmed mentioned. Also if you don’t have density as a function of temperature, you can use the following more approximate (and sometimes sufficient) force term: g_const*rho*beta*(T-T_ref) where beta is the volumetric thermal expansion coefficient and T is the temperature. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年9月7日 GMT-4 23:08

For most cases both should work, and the second one will also generate a pressure gradient in the direction of gravity as Ahmed mentioned. Also if you don’t have density as a function of temperature, you can use the following more approximate (and sometimes sufficient) force term: g_const*rho*beta*(T-T_ref) where beta is the volumetric thermal expansion coefficient and T is the temperature.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

Hi, Mr. Elabbasi. I have noticed that you have mentioned something about "density as a function of temperature'. I am interested in this topic. Hence, i have a model which can derive the temperature distribution in a closed boundary condition (no flow in or out, all gas molecules are restricted inside and the amount of molecules are constant). However, since the temperature gradient will result in the motion of molecules and change the density or concentration distribution. If i use the conjugate heat transfer module, how can i model to find out the density or concentration distribution? do i need other module? Thanks
[QUOTE] For most cases both should work, and the second one will also generate a pressure gradient in the direction of gravity as Ahmed mentioned. Also if you don’t have density as a function of temperature, you can use the following more approximate (and sometimes sufficient) force term: g_const*rho*beta*(T-T_ref) where beta is the volumetric thermal expansion coefficient and T is the temperature. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering [/QUOTE] Hi, Mr. Elabbasi. I have noticed that you have mentioned something about "density as a function of temperature'. I am interested in this topic. Hence, i have a model which can derive the temperature distribution in a closed boundary condition (no flow in or out, all gas molecules are restricted inside and the amount of molecules are constant). However, since the temperature gradient will result in the motion of molecules and change the density or concentration distribution. If i use the conjugate heat transfer module, how can i model to find out the density or concentration distribution? do i need other module? Thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年9月9日 GMT-4 08:04
Hi

read carefully the doc for V5 as COMSOL has improved the way of considereing volume changes due to thermal expansion, particulalrly for Thermal models, now you have the different frames to cope for geoemtry change.

Do not forget that the conservation equation is on MASS and NOT on Density =mass/Volume and Volume is formally a "field" V(x,y,z,t) :)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi read carefully the doc for V5 as COMSOL has improved the way of considereing volume changes due to thermal expansion, particulalrly for Thermal models, now you have the different frames to cope for geoemtry change. Do not forget that the conservation equation is on MASS and NOT on Density =mass/Volume and Volume is formally a "field" V(x,y,z,t) :) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.