Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Urgent research problem: How to solve PDE systems( 2 PDEs 2 unknown u1,u2 coupled in 2 PDEs) in Comsol 4.0????

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

1.Each PDE is composed of u1,u2.
How to set up the coupling process?

2. The spatial dependence for this problem can be reduced to 1D. du/dx
But it is a 2D rectangle.
The laplcian operator will also consider another dimension(du/dx+du/dy).
We want y dependency vanished.
How to deal with this issue?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH to get a little help.

Best Regards

18 Replies Last Post 2016年3月23日 GMT-4 06:37

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月14日 GMT-4 21:48
I have used this material which was very useful:
www.csc.kth.se/utbildning/kth/kurser/DN1240/numfcl08/labbar/IntroPDEFEMEng.pdf
I hope the example in the above file illustrate your issue.
all the best
I have used this material which was very useful: http://www.csc.kth.se/utbildning/kth/kurser/DN1240/numfcl08/labbar/IntroPDEFEMEng.pdf I hope the example in the above file illustrate your issue. all the best

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月15日 GMT-4 00:21
Hi, Thank you for response.
But i think that this is for one PDE and don't talk about how to couple two PDES with two unknowns?
Hi, Thank you for response. But i think that this is for one PDE and don't talk about how to couple two PDES with two unknowns?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月15日 GMT-4 20:40
The user guide said that
u=(u1,u2) . So it will include 2 eqns. My question is how to define u=(u1,u2)
Your generous help is appreciated.
Thanks.
The user guide said that u=(u1,u2) . So it will include 2 eqns. My question is how to define u=(u1,u2) Your generous help is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月16日 GMT-4 05:04
Hello, Liang:

The answer depends on what the equations are and how the two dependent variables are mathematically coupled. I think that, possibly, you could use "Model" / "Add Physics" / "PDE interfaces". Usually, the "Coefficient Form PDE" will suffice, if you can express your equation in that form.

The best would be if you could express your two scalar equations in only 1 vector equation with two dependent variables {u1, u2} (for instance, they are components of the same vector field). In that case, in "PDE (c)", at bottom, in "Dependent Variables", you could change the name of the dependent variable to "u1", and add another one: "u2".

Or else, you could choose two scalar PDE equations, each one in one dependent variable. The coupling would be done simply using the names of both dependent variables in both equations. If you give us the equations, perhaps the help could be more explicit.

About the dimensions, if the problem reduces to 1D, it will be simpler and faster in 1D.

Good luck.
Hello, Liang: The answer depends on what the equations are and how the two dependent variables are mathematically coupled. I think that, possibly, you could use "Model" / "Add Physics" / "PDE interfaces". Usually, the "Coefficient Form PDE" will suffice, if you can express your equation in that form. The best would be if you could express your two scalar equations in only 1 vector equation with two dependent variables {u1, u2} (for instance, they are components of the same vector field). In that case, in "PDE (c)", at bottom, in "Dependent Variables", you could change the name of the dependent variable to "u1", and add another one: "u2". Or else, you could choose two scalar PDE equations, each one in one dependent variable. The coupling would be done simply using the names of both dependent variables in both equations. If you give us the equations, perhaps the help could be more explicit. About the dimensions, if the problem reduces to 1D, it will be simpler and faster in 1D. Good luck.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月16日 GMT-4 18:30
Thank you very much, Sir. This is helpful information.
I am very frustrated by void information provided by the current PDE tutorial materials in user guide and all the available video about PDE in comsol

I have a question.
I 've tried many time to find options to change the name of dependent variables, but couldn't find. My license is 4.0 classkit license. THis feature is blocked? Could you show me the place you change the dependent variable. Thanks
Thank you very much, Sir. This is helpful information. I am very frustrated by void information provided by the current PDE tutorial materials in user guide and all the available video about PDE in comsol I have a question. I 've tried many time to find options to change the name of dependent variables, but couldn't find. My license is 4.0 classkit license. THis feature is blocked? Could you show me the place you change the dependent variable. Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月21日 GMT-4 05:03
Hello, Liang:

I am now with version 4.2a, but I think it was similar in 4.0. In Model * / Physics (in this case PDE), in the "settings tab" (central window), below, you will see "Dependent Variables". There you could change the names of the variables. If you want, you may write the equations and boundary conditions, and we will try to help you more explicitly.

Bye.

Jesus
Hello, Liang: I am now with version 4.2a, but I think it was similar in 4.0. In Model * / Physics (in this case PDE), in the "settings tab" (central window), below, you will see "Dependent Variables". There you could change the names of the variables. If you want, you may write the equations and boundary conditions, and we will try to help you more explicitly. Bye. Jesus

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月24日 GMT-4 01:26
hello Jesus Lucio ,
I also have the same problem and my equations are
u*∂u/∂x + v*∂u/∂y - (1/re)*(∂2u/∂x2 + ∂2u/∂y2)
u*∂v/∂x + v*∂v/∂y - (1/re)*(∂2v/∂x2 + ∂2v/∂y2)

hello Jesus Lucio , I also have the same problem and my equations are u*∂u/∂x + v*∂u/∂y - (1/re)*(∂2u/∂x2 + ∂2u/∂y2) u*∂v/∂x + v*∂v/∂y - (1/re)*(∂2v/∂x2 + ∂2v/∂y2)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月13日 GMT-5 07:25
Hello Mr. Lucio,

I made a similar implementation to the one you described above. I have a solid block which is the domain for a solid mechanics physics with variables u,v,w and i have an edge inside the block which is modelled by the beams physics with variables u,v,w,thx,thy,thz. I especially wanted the u,v,w of the sm physics to have the same name as the u,v,w of the beam.
If I understood your suggestion this would suffice for coupling the beam and the sm variables. But looking at my results it looks like the coupling doesnt work.

I would really appreciate a little comment whether i implemented the model right.

Thank you very much

kind regards

Jan
Hello Mr. Lucio, I made a similar implementation to the one you described above. I have a solid block which is the domain for a solid mechanics physics with variables u,v,w and i have an edge inside the block which is modelled by the beams physics with variables u,v,w,thx,thy,thz. I especially wanted the u,v,w of the sm physics to have the same name as the u,v,w of the beam. If I understood your suggestion this would suffice for coupling the beam and the sm variables. But looking at my results it looks like the coupling doesnt work. I would really appreciate a little comment whether i implemented the model right. Thank you very much kind regards Jan

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月13日 GMT-5 09:38
Hi, Jan,

I don't know the beam physics, and really I do not understand how you can solve simultaneously both the solid mechanics ph. in the block and the beam ph. in an edge, as I suppose they are not independent. But if the problem is correct as you enunciate it, you could access the block displacement simply by its variables names (u, v, w), and you could define a "prescribe displacement" condition for the beam physics in the edge, setting some of the displacement (let them be u2, v2, w2) simply equal to one of the corresponding solid displacements (for instance, u2 = u). But, sorry, I don't see how you can set a special physics for an edge of the block.

If you could send the model, we will be able to help you better.

Jesus.
Hi, Jan, I don't know the beam physics, and really I do not understand how you can solve simultaneously both the solid mechanics ph. in the block and the beam ph. in an edge, as I suppose they are not independent. But if the problem is correct as you enunciate it, you could access the block displacement simply by its variables names (u, v, w), and you could define a "prescribe displacement" condition for the beam physics in the edge, setting some of the displacement (let them be u2, v2, w2) simply equal to one of the corresponding solid displacements (for instance, u2 = u). But, sorry, I don't see how you can set a special physics for an edge of the block. If you could send the model, we will be able to help you better. Jesus.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月13日 GMT-5 14:48
Hi

the knitting of the 3 DOF of SOLID to the 6 DOF of Shell or beams is delicate, you need also to link the rotation dependent variables. There are different ways, if you forgetyou will get a "perfect hinge" this is often called a "mechanism" in FEM jargon, and does not behaves as expected (in most cases).
Then a shell or a beam connecs to a line in a Solid, this makes often singularities, so you should ideally knit togeher a boundary of a Solid to a boundary of a shell or a beam, and as these have at elast 1 DoF less than the Solid this requires some thoughts. There was a good but rapid explaantion aot this during the last COMSOL "solid" mini-course in Milan, proably the same were given at the other conferences too. Its rather model dependent

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the knitting of the 3 DOF of SOLID to the 6 DOF of Shell or beams is delicate, you need also to link the rotation dependent variables. There are different ways, if you forgetyou will get a "perfect hinge" this is often called a "mechanism" in FEM jargon, and does not behaves as expected (in most cases). Then a shell or a beam connecs to a line in a Solid, this makes often singularities, so you should ideally knit togeher a boundary of a Solid to a boundary of a shell or a beam, and as these have at elast 1 DoF less than the Solid this requires some thoughts. There was a good but rapid explaantion aot this during the last COMSOL "solid" mini-course in Milan, proably the same were given at the other conferences too. Its rather model dependent -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月19日 GMT-4 02:28

Hello, Liang:

The answer depends on what the equations are and how the two dependent variables are mathematically coupled. I think that, possibly, you could use "Model" / "Add Physics" / "PDE interfaces". Usually, the "Coefficient Form PDE" will suffice, if you can express your equation in that form.

The best would be if you could express your two scalar equations in only 1 vector equation with two dependent variables {u1, u2} (for instance, they are components of the same vector field). In that case, in "PDE (c)", at bottom, in "Dependent Variables", you could change the name of the dependent variable to "u1", and add another one: "u2".

Hi everyone,

This is my first time with Comsol but I'm already working on a similar problem.

I have to solve the thermoelectric problem, so I have two coupled equations and my u vector became u=(T,V).

In the first equation the "c" coefficient in the "coefficient form PDE" is:
lambda + (sigma)*((alfa)^2)*T, when u=T; (sigma)*(alfa)*(T), when u=V.

In the second equation the "c" coefficient in the "coefficient form PDE" is:
(sigma)*(alfa), when u=T; (sigma), when u=V.

Suppose now I want to impose thermal isulation [n• (lambda*∇T) = 0] on δΩ using Neumann boundary condition
so I set q=g=0 (a and Y were set to 0 on Ω ). But how I can set c=lambda on δΩ so that thermal insulation holds?

Obviously a similar problem arises if i want to impose electric insulation.

Thanks a lot,

dario

[QUOTE] Hello, Liang: The answer depends on what the equations are and how the two dependent variables are mathematically coupled. I think that, possibly, you could use "Model" / "Add Physics" / "PDE interfaces". Usually, the "Coefficient Form PDE" will suffice, if you can express your equation in that form. The best would be if you could express your two scalar equations in only 1 vector equation with two dependent variables {u1, u2} (for instance, they are components of the same vector field). In that case, in "PDE (c)", at bottom, in "Dependent Variables", you could change the name of the dependent variable to "u1", and add another one: "u2". [/QUOTE] Hi everyone, This is my first time with Comsol but I'm already working on a similar problem. I have to solve the thermoelectric problem, so I have two coupled equations and my u vector became u=(T,V). In the first equation the "c" coefficient in the "coefficient form PDE" is: lambda + (sigma)*((alfa)^2)*T, when u=T; (sigma)*(alfa)*(T), when u=V. In the second equation the "c" coefficient in the "coefficient form PDE" is: (sigma)*(alfa), when u=T; (sigma), when u=V. Suppose now I want to impose thermal isulation [n• (lambda*∇T) = 0] on δΩ using Neumann boundary condition so I set q=g=0 (a and Y were set to 0 on Ω ). But how I can set c=lambda on δΩ so that thermal insulation holds? Obviously a similar problem arises if i want to impose electric insulation. Thanks a lot, dario

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年8月20日 GMT-4 04:21
hello jesus!!

i look forward to solve two coupled equations with variable coefficients. how can i proceed please guide.
hello jesus!! i look forward to solve two coupled equations with variable coefficients. how can i proceed please guide.

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年8月22日 GMT-4 14:49
Hello
I have the same problem, but I have five equations and five dependent variables,
I couldn't solve it.

--
Omar S. Lateef
Hello I have the same problem, but I have five equations and five dependent variables, I couldn't solve it. -- Omar S. Lateef

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年12月12日 GMT-5 07:46

dear all,
i have some problems with PDE,
i have 5 dependant variables, u1,u2,........and u5, and i have some questions,
can i defined in same equation- i mean the general PDE- or can i use the other way, such as defined five equations

--
Omar S. Lateef
dear all, i have some problems with PDE, i have 5 dependant variables, u1,u2,........and u5, and i have some questions, can i defined in same equation- i mean the general PDE- or can i use the other way, such as defined five equations -- Omar S. Lateef

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年12月12日 GMT-5 07:58
Hello,

You can do any of both things: or define five scalar (i.e., each one with only one dependent variable) PDEs, or define only one (vector) PDE (with all your five dependent variables as components of the unique vector dependent variable). If the equations are strongly coupled, I recommend the second option. But surely the first option is quite simpler to write. If you use option one, just take into account the names of those variables, usually u1, ..., u5.

Regards,
Jesus.
Hello, You can do any of both things: or define five scalar (i.e., each one with only one dependent variable) PDEs, or define only one (vector) PDE (with all your five dependent variables as components of the unique vector dependent variable). If the equations are strongly coupled, I recommend the second option. But surely the first option is quite simpler to write. If you use option one, just take into account the names of those variables, usually u1, ..., u5. Regards, Jesus.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年2月16日 GMT-5 03:33
Dear all,

Can i solve coupled PDEs of Two Temperature Model equation for ultrashort pulse laser heating ?
How can i coupled these two equations ?

Ce*(d/dt)*Te= d/dz(k*(d/dz)*Te)- G(Te-Tl)+S(z,t)
Cl*(d/dt)*Ti=G(Te-Ti)
Dear all, Can i solve coupled PDEs of Two Temperature Model equation for ultrashort pulse laser heating ? How can i coupled these two equations ? Ce*(d/dt)*Te= d/dz(k*(d/dz)*Te)- G(Te-Tl)+S(z,t) Cl*(d/dt)*Ti=G(Te-Ti)

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年8月12日 GMT-4 08:24
Hello Ivar

my problem is a little different, but I would be grateful if you could help me.
I am defining my system of equation using Coefficient Form PDE . and as you may find from the attached photo, I have 3 dependent variables: n and p (ion species), E (electric field) which are functions of x (position).
could you please guide me through building these equations?
I am confused with the terms, since for each equation the diffusion term only contains either the variable p or n , but the convection term contains also the variable E.
Regards
Hello Ivar my problem is a little different, but I would be grateful if you could help me. I am defining my system of equation using Coefficient Form PDE . and as you may find from the attached photo, I have 3 dependent variables: n and p (ion species), E (electric field) which are functions of x (position). could you please guide me through building these equations? I am confused with the terms, since for each equation the diffusion term only contains either the variable p or n , but the convection term contains also the variable E. Regards

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月23日 GMT-4 06:37
Hello,
please my question is how I can coupled two equations PDEs , for example (schrodinger-poisson)
as the 1 st depends on two variable u1 and V . or V is a variable in the 2nd equation (poisson)
thank you.
Hello, please my question is how I can coupled two equations PDEs , for example (schrodinger-poisson) as the 1 st depends on two variable u1 and V . or V is a variable in the 2nd equation (poisson) thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.