Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric Currents, Single Layer Shell Works in 2D, but not 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to calculate the EM force on a shelled object as a function of frequency. The primary physics is Electric Currents and I'm trying to use the Single Layer Shell physics to capture the effects of a thin layer around a spherical object that has a different permittivity and conductivity. I use the Force Calculation node combined with a line (2D) or surface (3D) integral to plot the EM force on the object as a function of frequency. To simplify the problem, I've started with a spherical model with symmetry that has a well known solution. I've obtained expected behavior using the following: * 2D Axisymmetric with the shell as part of the geometry (high resolution mesh required) * 2D Axisymmetric using the Electric Currents, Single Layer Shell * 3D with the shell as part of the geometry (required 64GB and ran for 6hrs, but matched expected behavior)

The problem is that when I attempt to use the Electric Currents, Single Layer Shell model, the low frequency characteristics are not observed in the resulting force calculation.

Thanks in advance!

0 Replies Last Post 2020年11月29日 GMT-5 19:07
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Prof. H

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.