Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Computing Volume of a Cavity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am currently working on mechanical modeling of the heart; in my simulation I need to compute the volume change of the left cavity under applying a pressure load to it. I know that for such a purpose I should use the integral operator in the definition tab under component coupling. I used this operator and selected the boundaries that I wanted to be integrated, as shown in the picture(intop1) that I attached here, after that I defined a variable named (LV_Volume) and used the operator intop1 to evaluate the volume as shown in the picture (Variable_LV_Volume) that I attached, but the variable computes the surface area not the volume of the boundary. What expression should I use for the intop1 operator to compute the Volume of the boundary? Thank you in advance for any help that might be provided by anyone.

6 Replies Last Post 2020年12月30日 GMT-5 14:18
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年12月29日 GMT-5 14:48
Updated: 4 years ago 2020年12月29日 GMT-5 14:48

Caveat: I'm just making a wild guess here, and your model may have other issues, but... In regard to Intop1, where it says Geometric entity level, I see that you have selected Boundary. Consider clicking the little down arrow there and choose Domain instead. And then select the appropriate domain(s), which in a 3D problem, are generally volume(s). Good luck.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Caveat: I'm just making a wild guess here, and your model may have other issues, but... In regard to Intop1, where it says **Geometric entity level**, I see that you have selected *Boundary*. Consider clicking the little down arrow there and choose *Domain* instead. And then select the appropriate domain(s), which in a 3D problem, are generally volume(s). Good luck.

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年12月30日 GMT-5 02:27
Updated: 4 years ago 2020年12月30日 GMT-5 02:28

Caveat: I'm just making a wild guess here, and your model may have other issues, but... In regard to Intop1, where it says Geometric entity level, I see that you have selected Boundary. Consider clicking the little down arrow there and choose Domain instead. And then select the appropriate domain(s), which in a 3D problem, are generally volume(s). Good luck.

Dear Dr. Koslover,

Thank you for responding to my question. Unfortunately, the part that I want to compute the volume is boundary and if I specify Geometry Entity Level as domain the interested parts cannot be selected. Also, in regard to your Caveat what do you mean by other issues in my model?

I am new in COMSOL and appreciate any help,

Thank you

>Caveat: I'm just making a wild guess here, and your model may have other issues, but... In regard to Intop1, where it says **Geometric entity level**, I see that you have selected *Boundary*. Consider clicking the little down arrow there and choose *Domain* instead. And then select the appropriate domain(s), which in a 3D problem, are generally volume(s). Good luck. Dear Dr. Koslover, Thank you for responding to my question. Unfortunately, the part that I want to compute the volume is boundary and if I specify Geometry Entity Level as domain the interested parts cannot be selected. Also, in regard to your Caveat what do you mean by other issues in my model? I am new in COMSOL and appreciate any help, Thank you

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年12月30日 GMT-5 10:50
Updated: 4 years ago 2020年12月30日 GMT-5 10:51

You might want to upload your model to the forum. If you cannot select the domain(s) for which you want to compute the volume, then this hints to me that you have created a surface model, not a a volume model. I'm an RF guy and I don't really know anything about how to model a heart, but it seems strange to me that you wouldn't include the enclosed volume as part of your computational domain. Did you exclude it by accident? Are you, perhaps, trying to model the heart without including any of the blood within it? Even so, it should have a thickness to it. If your model includes surfaces but no domains, then you have not defined your geometry properly. Hmm. By some chance, did you create your geometry with a different tool and then import it into Comsol Multiphysics? If so, the format and import process could have thrown away your volumes and left only surfaces. And that would be a problem. But I'm just guessing, so I suggest you upload your model to the forum so others can take a look at it.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You might want to upload your model to the forum. If you cannot select the domain(s) for which you want to compute the volume, then this hints to me that you have created a surface model, not a a volume model. I'm an RF guy and I don't really know anything about how to model a heart, but it seems strange to me that you wouldn't include the enclosed volume as part of your computational domain. Did you exclude it by accident? Are you, perhaps, trying to model the heart without including any of the blood within it? Even so, it should have a thickness to it. If your model includes surfaces but no domains, then you have not defined your geometry properly. Hmm. By some chance, did you create your geometry with a different tool and then *import* it into Comsol Multiphysics? If so, the format and import process could have thrown away your volumes and left only surfaces. And that would be a problem. But I'm just guessing, so I suggest you upload your model to the forum so others can take a look at it.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年12月30日 GMT-5 12:51
Updated: 4 years ago 2021年1月4日 GMT-5 10:28

Bottom line: an open surface does not define a volume. A closed one does and that volume can be computed by a surface integral via Gauss's theorem (a.k.a. the divergence theorem). You can go that route if you first ensure your cavity forms a closed boundary; this does not seem to be currently the case judging by the screenshot you attached earlier.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Bottom line: an open surface does not define a volume. A closed one does and that volume can be computed by a surface integral via Gauss's theorem (a.k.a. the divergence theorem). You can go that route if you first ensure your cavity forms a closed boundary; this does not seem to be currently the case judging by the screenshot you attached earlier. Jeff

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年12月30日 GMT-5 14:04

You might want to upload your model to the forum. If you cannot select the domain(s) for which you want to compute the volume, then this hints to me that you have created a surface model, not a a volume model. I'm an RF guy and I don't really know anything about how to model a heart, but it seems strange to me that you wouldn't include the enclosed volume as part of your computational domain. Did you exclude it by accident? Are you, perhaps, trying to model the heart without including any of the blood within it? Even so, it should have a thickness to it. If your model includes surfaces but no domains, then you have not defined your geometry properly. Hmm. By some chance, did you create your geometry with a different tool and then import it into Comsol Multiphysics? If so, the format and import process could have thrown away your volumes and left only surfaces. And that would be a problem. But I'm just guessing, so I suggest you upload your model to the forum so others can take a look at it.

My geometry has one domain and that is the whole geometry, I have created the geometry from medical images in a software named MIMICS and then imported the IGES format of the geometry to COMSOL Multiphysics. As you can see from the picture (Geometry) that is attached, my model has volume and it is not a surface model. I am trying to model the heart without including any of the blood within it and the effect of the blood is considered by a time varying pressure load over the cavities.  

>You might want to upload your model to the forum. If you cannot select the domain(s) for which you want to compute the volume, then this hints to me that you have created a surface model, not a a volume model. I'm an RF guy and I don't really know anything about how to model a heart, but it seems strange to me that you wouldn't include the enclosed volume as part of your computational domain. Did you exclude it by accident? Are you, perhaps, trying to model the heart without including any of the blood within it? Even so, it should have a thickness to it. If your model includes surfaces but no domains, then you have not defined your geometry properly. Hmm. By some chance, did you create your geometry with a different tool and then *import* it into Comsol Multiphysics? If so, the format and import process could have thrown away your volumes and left only surfaces. And that would be a problem. But I'm just guessing, so I suggest you upload your model to the forum so others can take a look at it. My geometry has one domain and that is the whole geometry, I have created the geometry from medical images in a software named MIMICS and then imported the IGES format of the geometry to COMSOL Multiphysics. As you can see from the picture (Geometry) that is attached, my model has volume and it is not a surface model. I am trying to model the heart without including any of the blood within it and the effect of the blood is considered by a time varying pressure load over the cavities.  

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年12月30日 GMT-5 14:18

Bottom line: an open surface does not define a volume. A closed one does and that volume can be computed by a surface integral via Gauss's theorem.

Jeff

via Gauss's theorem.

Dear jeff

In this book https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-642-54801-7 in Chapter 8 Problems, mentioned an expression for surface integral via Gauss's theorem that computes the volume of cavity boundaries for a 2-Dimensional axisymmetric geometry in COMSOL Multiphysics but in my case the geometry is 3-Dimensional and that expression doesn’t work.

Is there any other way that I can compute the volume of the cavity?

Thank you

>Bottom line: an open surface does not define a volume. A closed one does and that volume can be computed by a surface integral via Gauss's theorem. > >Jeff >via Gauss's theorem. Dear jeff In this book https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-642-54801-7 in Chapter 8 Problems, mentioned an expression for surface integral via Gauss's theorem that computes the volume of cavity boundaries for a 2-Dimensional axisymmetric geometry in COMSOL Multiphysics but in my case the geometry is 3-Dimensional and that expression doesn’t work. Is there any other way that I can compute the volume of the cavity? Thank you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.