Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency domain - mechanical

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am an electronics student and am trying to simulate the mechanics of a square plate.
My plate has the 4 side faces fixed and a uniform distributed load on one of the larger faces.
The stress and displacement are close to calculated values - hence I can justify that my understanding is verified by the simulation.
I tried to find the eigen frequencies. My query - is the solution given by comsol for eigen frequency = omega (= 2.pi.f) or is it = "f"?
I tried the frequency domain simulation. Here, the frequency that I enter are omega (= 2.pi.f) or is it "f"?

Please recommend me books where, from formulae, I can calculate the resonant frequency and compare with the simulated results. I tried Timoshenko - strength of materials -2, but did not get the frequency.

Thanks in advance.

10 Replies Last Post 2014年4月17日 GMT-4 18:27
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年4月16日 GMT-4 02:11
Hi

eifgenfrequency is in Hz or "f" eigenvalue in omega or rad/s. A frequency domain solving you should give the frequency in Hz. Check the model library and do some of the exercices therein (do not forget to update your model library first)

PS: try to get a newer version, 4.0 was a "first out" of an important change in the software, it was not very stable

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi eifgenfrequency is in Hz or "f" eigenvalue in omega or rad/s. A frequency domain solving you should give the frequency in Hz. Check the model library and do some of the exercices therein (do not forget to update your model library first) PS: try to get a newer version, 4.0 was a "first out" of an important change in the software, it was not very stable -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年3月10日 GMT-4 13:47
Hi
I am trying to get a frequency response using COMSOL 4.4 from a clamp-free shaft cantilever. The problem is that COMSOL solve it for a limited frequency ranges but not for my desired range. Can any one tell me what's wrong? I attached my simulation with the freq range that is working but I want to run it in range of 1-1.5 KHz and it doesn't work.
Regards, Mesut

Hi I am trying to get a frequency response using COMSOL 4.4 from a clamp-free shaft cantilever. The problem is that COMSOL solve it for a limited frequency ranges but not for my desired range. Can any one tell me what's wrong? I attached my simulation with the freq range that is working but I want to run it in range of 1-1.5 KHz and it doesn't work. Regards, Mesut

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年3月12日 GMT-4 12:36
Hi,

Please see

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/42949/

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Please see http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/42949/ Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年3月16日 GMT-4 00:46
Resonance is a point of singularity, so the simulation (numerical number crunching) goes awry around that point (like facing a 1 divided by 0). The best you can do is
1. Find the resonance frequency from Eigen frequency (that option is available)
2. Run frequency response at all frequencies except close to the Eigen frequency
3. The peaking in response near the resonant frequency should suffice to show the overall trend in freq resp.
4. Remember, theory and simulation are different from practical. Fabrication process variations can really throw up different results. Use the simulation only as a confidence building measure.10% error or more is acceptable as long as your answers are within one order of variation.
Best wishes
Resonance is a point of singularity, so the simulation (numerical number crunching) goes awry around that point (like facing a 1 divided by 0). The best you can do is 1. Find the resonance frequency from Eigen frequency (that option is available) 2. Run frequency response at all frequencies except close to the Eigen frequency 3. The peaking in response near the resonant frequency should suffice to show the overall trend in freq resp. 4. Remember, theory and simulation are different from practical. Fabrication process variations can really throw up different results. Use the simulation only as a confidence building measure.10% error or more is acceptable as long as your answers are within one order of variation. Best wishes

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年3月17日 GMT-4 03:08
Hi,

As long as there is damping in your model (and there always is in real life) there is no problem in solving also at the resonance frequency. Determining an appropriate damping for a certain system can be difficult, though.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, As long as there is damping in your model (and there always is in real life) there is no problem in solving also at the resonance frequency. Determining an appropriate damping for a certain system can be difficult, though. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年3月19日 GMT-4 16:18
Thanks Mir and Henrik for your response. I tried many numbers (even those that are irrelevant to this problem) and I could get some results for the 2nd to 10th mode, but the simulation doesn't converge for the first mode.
Thanks Mir and Henrik for your response. I tried many numbers (even those that are irrelevant to this problem) and I could get some results for the 2nd to 10th mode, but the simulation doesn't converge for the first mode.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年3月20日 GMT-4 06:46
Hi Mesut,

If you get a message about non-convergence in the frequency response analysis even when having appropriate damping, please submit the model to support.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi Mesut, If you get a message about non-convergence in the frequency response analysis even when having appropriate damping, please submit the model to support. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年3月21日 GMT-4 10:22
Thank you Henrik. I attached the file. This simulation works for 5000-340000 Hz but it can't converge for 1000-2000 Hz.
Regards, Mesut
Thank you Henrik. I attached the file. This simulation works for 5000-340000 Hz but it can't converge for 1000-2000 Hz. Regards, Mesut

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年3月25日 GMT-4 03:08
Hi,

The problem here is that the 'dynamical stiffness matrix' becomes extremely ill-conditioned. This kind of geometry should preferably be treated using beam elements. Using solids, you would need even more elements to arrive at an accurate solution.

But if you want to force this problem to be solved, you much switch of the check of the conditioning in the linear equation solver: In the 'Direct' node in the solver sequence, locate the 'Error' section. Set 'Check error estimate' to 'No'.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, The problem here is that the 'dynamical stiffness matrix' becomes extremely ill-conditioned. This kind of geometry should preferably be treated using beam elements. Using solids, you would need even more elements to arrive at an accurate solution. But if you want to force this problem to be solved, you much switch of the check of the conditioning in the linear equation solver: In the 'Direct' node in the solver sequence, locate the 'Error' section. Set 'Check error estimate' to 'No'. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月17日 GMT-4 18:27
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know How can I get a displacement PSD (Power Spectrum Density) from a frequency response simulation in COMSOL? Does it matter if I use base motion or force excitation?
Regards, Masoud
Hi everyone, Does anyone know How can I get a displacement PSD (Power Spectrum Density) from a frequency response simulation in COMSOL? Does it matter if I use base motion or force excitation? Regards, Masoud

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.