Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

interaction between 2 membranes with incompressible solid in between

Thongchai Asavaparjukul

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I would like to simulate the model which has 2 membrane on both side of the solid. If the solid is incompressible, when the force acts on 1 membrane it should press the solid down. The transferring of mass should interact with another membrane which is on another side of solid. All of this should happen if the solid is incompressible but in my simulation, there has no interaction to another membrane. Please give me some suggestion.
Thank you very much.

2 Replies Last Post 2012年5月17日 GMT-4 10:01
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月16日 GMT-4 13:45
Hi

Have you checked your values carefully ?
You are pressing with 5[TPa] and holding that on a 1um thick side edge of a membrane, and your mebrane has only 1 mesh element in the thickness, your shear stress is about at the level of INF at least numerically, no wonder the solver has problems to come to something reasonable.

But the main reason for no motion is that you have fixed the interiour boundary under your tip thin membrane. Often its better to work in "wireframe" view to select items with such aspect ratios. (remove boundary "9" from your fixed BC list)

I would also suggest to use a sweep mesh in the thickness, to get 3-5 elements in the membrane thickness, while you do not really need much more than 5-10 in the total bulk thickness

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Have you checked your values carefully ? You are pressing with 5[TPa] and holding that on a 1um thick side edge of a membrane, and your mebrane has only 1 mesh element in the thickness, your shear stress is about at the level of INF at least numerically, no wonder the solver has problems to come to something reasonable. But the main reason for no motion is that you have fixed the interiour boundary under your tip thin membrane. Often its better to work in "wireframe" view to select items with such aspect ratios. (remove boundary "9" from your fixed BC list) I would also suggest to use a sweep mesh in the thickness, to get 3-5 elements in the membrane thickness, while you do not really need much more than 5-10 in the total bulk thickness -- Good luck Ivar

Thongchai Asavaparjukul

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月17日 GMT-4 10:01
Thank you very much Dr.Ivar. Now the problem was solved :)
Thank you very much Dr.Ivar. Now the problem was solved :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.