Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Nonlinear electric conductivity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm currently working on electrical transients simulation using AC/DC module. How can I define nonlinear electric conductivity of zinc oxide (ZnO) in subdomain settings?

Thank you

4 Replies Last Post 2013年1月11日 GMT-5 07:03
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月17日 GMT-4 02:21
Hi

what kind of non-linratiry ?

if its a dependence on T or J or B, it is "just" to do as many material characteristics of the Material library, find one in the defult Material library and copy the methodology for your case

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi what kind of non-linratiry ? if its a dependence on T or J or B, it is "just" to do as many material characteristics of the Material library, find one in the defult Material library and copy the methodology for your case -- Good luck Ivar

Victor Manuel Rodriguez Zermeno

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月20日 GMT-4 05:46
First of all you should get an expression (or experimental data) for the conductivity.

If the conductivity depends on J or even B, you might run into a "circular reference" problem. Then you need to use a different approach like the H-formulation. Also, note that the conductivity is the mass matrix of your PDE in the AC/DC module. You do not want to have a nonlinear mass matrix as the time dependent solver might go a bit crazy. In either case, for starters, you can just test using a expression that resembles the overall dependence and see how things go.
Best Regards,

Victor
First of all you should get an expression (or experimental data) for the conductivity. If the conductivity depends on J or even B, you might run into a "circular reference" problem. Then you need to use a different approach like the H-formulation. Also, note that the conductivity is the mass matrix of your PDE in the AC/DC module. You do not want to have a nonlinear mass matrix as the time dependent solver might go a bit crazy. In either case, for starters, you can just test using a expression that resembles the overall dependence and see how things go. Best Regards, Victor

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月11日 GMT-5 05:15
Its dependence is sigma(E), where sigma is conductivity of ZnO (S/m), E - electric field strength (V/m). This conductivity is non-linear and usually should be set manually using table. Is it possible in COMSOL to set such table dependence sigma(E) so easy as it is in QuickField? (www.quickfield.com/advanced/telec2.htm). If yes, then how? I´ll be appreciated for any help.
Its dependence is sigma(E), where sigma is conductivity of ZnO (S/m), E - electric field strength (V/m). This conductivity is non-linear and usually should be set manually using table. Is it possible in COMSOL to set such table dependence sigma(E) so easy as it is in QuickField? (http://www.quickfield.com/advanced/telec2.htm). If yes, then how? I´ll be appreciated for any help.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月11日 GMT-5 07:03
Hi

in COMSOL you can set any input to any equation (or almost ;I, load in your data into an interpolation function under the material propery (check an example from the default material library, many materials are T or pA dependent

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in COMSOL you can set any input to any equation (or almost ;I, load in your data into an interpolation function under the material propery (check an example from the default material library, many materials are T or pA dependent -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.