Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Question about RAM selection for new equipment.

Fernando Perez Mendez

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

As I need to get my work done as soon as possible, decided to go for a new desktop to speed up my models.

I am purchasing CPU 5950X and will place amd radeon pro wx 2100 as gpu, since I am trying to make this cheap but to run comsol as fast as possible.

I have a question about ram performance and I'd appreciate what you have found may work better.

Should I select 4x16 GB ram sticks at 3600 Mhz or

2x32 GB + 2x8 GB ram, both running at 3600 Mhz (this is the cheaper option and gets an extra capacity).

However, I don't know what will give better performance overall. Ryzen 5000 is dual channel only, so I don't know how it will operate better. My understanding from reading comsol website about ram, is tha if I use option 2, performance will decrease past the first 32 ram capacity.

I'd appreciate some comments on what you have found works best.

0 Replies Last Post 2021年4月16日 GMT-4 07:37
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Fernando Perez Mendez

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.