Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to export data in excel format?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey Ivar,
I want to export my figure into excel format. and replot it in matlab. Is it possible ?
Thank you very much!!

Baofeng

20 Replies Last Post 2014年10月2日 GMT-4 08:46
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月31日 GMT-4 16:17
Hi

check the export options, you can export as CSV and import directly into matlab, or you dump your data into a COMSOL table, where you can either export it or cut&paste it into excel or another txt file editor

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the export options, you can export as CSV and import directly into matlab, or you dump your data into a COMSOL table, where you can either export it or cut&paste it into excel or another txt file editor -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月31日 GMT-4 16:46
Hey Ivar,
I Right-click the export code, in the OUTPUT settings: there are data format, space dimension, and Geometry level and so on. But I can not find CSV or other codes just as you metioned. Could you please tell me a little bit detailled?

Thank you!
Baofeng

Hey Ivar, I Right-click the export code, in the OUTPUT settings: there are data format, space dimension, and Geometry level and so on. But I can not find CSV or other codes just as you metioned. Could you please tell me a little bit detailled? Thank you! Baofeng

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年6月1日 GMT-4 02:34
Hi

Check the doc for the different export methods, they differ depending on what you export, be it the geometry, mesh, data set, derived values - table or plot results

one way is to try them all on a simple model, then you know for the next time ;)

And I have not fully understood which one of the exports you are dealing with

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Check the doc for the different export methods, they differ depending on what you export, be it the geometry, mesh, data set, derived values - table or plot results one way is to try them all on a simple model, then you know for the next time ;) And I have not fully understood which one of the exports you are dealing with -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年6月1日 GMT-4 13:31
Hey Ivar,
I wanna export the data of a curve which ploted by COMSOL. AS there are many cases, I wanna plot the curve into one figure for comparison. I don't wheather the COMSOL can do it or not. That's why I want to export the data of all the cases and replot them again in Matlab or Excel.
Could you help me out of it ?

Thanks.

Baofeng
Hey Ivar, I wanna export the data of a curve which ploted by COMSOL. AS there are many cases, I wanna plot the curve into one figure for comparison. I don't wheather the COMSOL can do it or not. That's why I want to export the data of all the cases and replot them again in Matlab or Excel. Could you help me out of it ? Thanks. Baofeng

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年6月1日 GMT-4 14:29
Hi

if you have made a line plot, either from a Derived Variable => table => plot or from a boundary or edge selection and then plotted some variable from there then you can right click the 1D plot node and select "Add Image to Export" and you will get an "Export image" sub node to export the image as a jpg png, or other image file.

However, if you select the "Results - 1D plot - Table, or Line graph" node and right click and select from that sub level a Add Plot Data to Export" you will get an "Export - Plot" sub node and this allows you to create an interpolated array of ascii text, or csv file or other types

General rule always righ click on al nodes to the lowest, and repeat if you change major elements in the physics, as new items might appear. Warning you can get a bad "tennis elbow" from excesive right clicks (at least I managed last automn) so do not over do it ... :)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have made a line plot, either from a Derived Variable => table => plot or from a boundary or edge selection and then plotted some variable from there then you can right click the 1D plot node and select "Add Image to Export" and you will get an "Export image" sub node to export the image as a jpg png, or other image file. However, if you select the "Results - 1D plot - Table, or Line graph" node and right click and select from that sub level a Add Plot Data to Export" you will get an "Export - Plot" sub node and this allows you to create an interpolated array of ascii text, or csv file or other types General rule always righ click on al nodes to the lowest, and repeat if you change major elements in the physics, as new items might appear. Warning you can get a bad "tennis elbow" from excesive right clicks (at least I managed last automn) so do not over do it ... :) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年8月16日 GMT-4 08:36
Hi,
I have been trying to export my data from a point graph. When I have everything set up and I click on export, I am getting this message:

COMSOL Error

Unknown property.
-Property: spacevars

I hope you can help me.
Thanks
--
Albert
Hi, I have been trying to export my data from a point graph. When I have everything set up and I click on export, I am getting this message: COMSOL Error Unknown property. -Property: spacevars I hope you can help me. Thanks -- Albert

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年9月1日 GMT-4 22:36

Hi,
I have been trying to export my data from a point graph. When I have everything set up and I click on export, I am getting this message:

COMSOL Error

Unknown property.

I hope you can help me.
Thanks
--
Albert

I also me this problem, which has blocked my work for several days! do you know how to solve it ?
[QUOTE] Hi, I have been trying to export my data from a point graph. When I have everything set up and I click on export, I am getting this message: COMSOL Error Unknown property. -Property: spacevars I hope you can help me. Thanks -- Albert [/QUOTE] I also me this problem, which has blocked my work for several days! do you know how to solve it ?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年9月1日 GMT-4 22:37

Hi

if you have made a line plot, either from a Derived Variable => table => plot or from a boundary or edge selection and then plotted some variable from there then you can right click the 1D plot node and select "Add Image to Export" and you will get an "Export image" sub node to export the image as a jpg png, or other image file.

However, if you select the "Results - 1D plot - Table, or Line graph" node and right click and select from that sub level a Add Plot Data to Export" you will get an "Export - Plot" sub node and this allows you to create an interpolated array of ascii text, or csv file or other types

General rule always righ click on al nodes to the lowest, and repeat if you change major elements in the physics, as new items might appear. Warning you can get a bad "tennis elbow" from excesive right clicks (at least I managed last automn) so do not over do it ... :)

--
Good luck
Ivar

COMSOL Error

Unknown property.

I hope you can help me.
[QUOTE] Hi if you have made a line plot, either from a Derived Variable => table => plot or from a boundary or edge selection and then plotted some variable from there then you can right click the 1D plot node and select "Add Image to Export" and you will get an "Export image" sub node to export the image as a jpg png, or other image file. However, if you select the "Results - 1D plot - Table, or Line graph" node and right click and select from that sub level a Add Plot Data to Export" you will get an "Export - Plot" sub node and this allows you to create an interpolated array of ascii text, or csv file or other types General rule always righ click on al nodes to the lowest, and repeat if you change major elements in the physics, as new items might appear. Warning you can get a bad "tennis elbow" from excesive right clicks (at least I managed last automn) so do not over do it ... :) -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] I have been trying to export my data from a point graph. When I have everything set up and I click on export, I am getting this message: COMSOL Error Unknown property. -Property: spacevars I hope you can help me.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月26日 GMT-5 22:53
Hello Ivar,
Do you know the solution for the error: Unknown property.-Property: spacevars ?

To solve this problem is very important, otherwise, we are not able to export data.

Thanks,
Xiang
Hello Ivar, Do you know the solution for the error: Unknown property.-Property: spacevars ? To solve this problem is very important, otherwise, we are not able to export data. Thanks, Xiang

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月26日 GMT-5 22:53
Hi Yuanyang,
Have you got solution for this error?

Thanks,
Xiang
Hi Yuanyang, Have you got solution for this error? Thanks, Xiang

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月26日 GMT-5 22:55
Hi Albert,
Have you got solution for this error?

Thanks,
Xiang
Hi Albert, Have you got solution for this error? Thanks, Xiang

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月27日 GMT-5 04:43
Hi

I guess that spacevars has something to do with the "space variables" hence for me, x,y,z If you export data that are related to the space variables x,y,z, you must be sure you have selected the correct domains/boundaries ... on which the exported variables have space coordinates and are valid.

But it could be other issues too ... ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I guess that spacevars has something to do with the "space variables" hence for me, x,y,z If you export data that are related to the space variables x,y,z, you must be sure you have selected the correct domains/boundaries ... on which the exported variables have space coordinates and are valid. But it could be other issues too ... ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月27日 GMT-5 11:22
Hi Ivar,
Thanks for your reply. The plot that I exported was the 1D point graph, and space variables are correct and valid. There might be something else there. In the discussion forum, other guys also had this problem, and it seemed it has not been solved yet. I am trying to use comsol with matlab to see if I can export the plot that I want.

Thanks,
Xiang
Hi Ivar, Thanks for your reply. The plot that I exported was the 1D point graph, and space variables are correct and valid. There might be something else there. In the discussion forum, other guys also had this problem, and it seemed it has not been solved yet. I am trying to use comsol with matlab to see if I can export the plot that I want. Thanks, Xiang

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年1月28日 GMT-5 01:30
Hi

only "support" can give the final answer I believe ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi only "support" can give the final answer I believe ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月15日 GMT-5 08:25
Hello all,

I am also experiencing this export error with 4.3. For me it looks like a bug...
Whatever it is, there is another way (which works!) to export point data:
Derived value>point evaluation>click the point (if it does not exist you'll have to create it under geometry and re-run the model (unfortunately)) and choose the expression to evaluate>evaluate
Then you can copy/paste or export the table...
That works to plot an expression versus time (for time-dependant) or versus parameter value (parametric sweep)

Hope that helps.

David
Hello all, I am also experiencing this export error with 4.3. For me it looks like a bug... Whatever it is, there is another way (which works!) to export point data: Derived value>point evaluation>click the point (if it does not exist you'll have to create it under geometry and re-run the model (unfortunately)) and choose the expression to evaluate>evaluate Then you can copy/paste or export the table... That works to plot an expression versus time (for time-dependant) or versus parameter value (parametric sweep) Hope that helps. David

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月4日 GMT-5 04:04
Hi! I have the same problem while using 4.3 version, even when I use LiveLink with Matlab it does not work and it gives the same error: unknown property: spacevars.
In 4.2 everything works fine.
Did you manage to solve your problem? Could you please give me some hints about it please?
Thank you!
Ana Gaspar
Hi! I have the same problem while using 4.3 version, even when I use LiveLink with Matlab it does not work and it gives the same error: unknown property: spacevars. In 4.2 everything works fine. Did you manage to solve your problem? Could you please give me some hints about it please? Thank you! Ana Gaspar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月4日 GMT-5 05:45
Hi

from my understanding "spacevars are the x,y,z,r could it be that you are missing some references to the spatial variables in one of your calls ?

Now I havent met that error yet ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi from my understanding "spacevars are the x,y,z,r could it be that you are missing some references to the spatial variables in one of your calls ? Now I havent met that error yet ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月4日 GMT-5 07:59
This is a bug that was introduced in 4.3. It was fixed in 4.3 Update 2: www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol43p2/

A workaround if you are using 4.3 and want to export the value of an expression evaluated in a cut point:

- Results > Export: Add Data.
- Change the Data set setting to that it points to the cut point data set.

This is a bug that was introduced in 4.3. It was fixed in 4.3 Update 2: http://www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol43p2/ A workaround if you are using 4.3 and want to export the value of an expression evaluated in a cut point: - Results > Export: Add Data. - Change the Data set setting to that it points to the cut point data set.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年3月27日 GMT-4 10:04
Hi
I am using COMSOL 4.3, its version is up to date and I have the same error...

Unknown property
- Property: spacevars

I am using the LiveLink with Matlab and I try to export a result on a cutpoint 1D.
If after I have lunched my model with Matlab, the error occurs, and I try to open it with the COMSOL interface, the model runs normally and I can manually export the results. In my case this is not practical at all...

However, it does not work directly when I use my Matlab script.

Is it another bug?
How can I do to solve it?

Thank you.

Ana Gaspar
Hi I am using COMSOL 4.3, its version is up to date and I have the same error... Unknown property - Property: spacevars I am using the LiveLink with Matlab and I try to export a result on a cutpoint 1D. If after I have lunched my model with Matlab, the error occurs, and I try to open it with the COMSOL interface, the model runs normally and I can manually export the results. In my case this is not practical at all... However, it does not work directly when I use my Matlab script. Is it another bug? How can I do to solve it? Thank you. Ana Gaspar

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年10月2日 GMT-4 08:46
Hey,

I am also curious - is it necessary to use Matlab to export data from COMSOL (and how?) or it can be done directly via COMSOL and put into Excel? Please provide update if you find an answer.

Thanks!

Ivelin
Hey, I am also curious - is it necessary to use Matlab to export data from COMSOL (and how?) or it can be done directly via COMSOL and put into Excel? Please provide update if you find an answer. Thanks! Ivelin

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.