Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Conjugate heat transfer - Conductive heat flux at boundaries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good evening everyone,

I'm trying to set up a 2D conjugate heat transfer simulation, and I have a doubt about the boundary conditions I should set in my model. I've attached the mph file of my simulation.

I have two rectangular adjacent domains; one is fluid and the other is solid. The fluid domain is heated by a constant radiative heat flux on the top (i.e.: by a light source), which is absorbed and gradually extincted by the fluid itself. To model the extinction of light, I followed the instructions of this tutorial (https://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-laser-material-interactions-with-the-beer-lambert-law/), which is similar to the physics of my problem (I considered a monochromatic collimated source of light, with no scattering, refraction or reflection, having an input flat profile of 1000 W/m^2 intensity).

The solid domain exchanges heat with the fluid through conduction (since the radiation comes from the top, the fluid is stratified and there are no convective motions), and is interfaced with the external environment (still air) on its right side: so, I implemented a natural convective heat flux on that boundary. The whole system is symmetrical along the left boundary of the fluid domain, as regards both the geometry, the temperature and the velocity fields.

As regards the remaining heat transfer boundary conditions (and here is my doubt), I’d like to set them all as conductive heat fluxes, because I know that both the solid and fluid domains are in contact with solid materials on their top and bottom sides (I did not include these additional solid domains in my model, to avoid undesired complications at this stage of my study).

So, my question is: is it correct to implement the conductive heat flux boundary conditions, simply setting the general inward heat flux q0 equal to zero, as I tried to do in the attached model?

Thank you very much in advance to anyone for her/his help. Kind regards Daniele

0 Replies Last Post 2021年6月14日 GMT-4 11:46
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Daniele

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.