Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can I generate my mesh using the cluster?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have been trying to simulate a complex structure and I have been running into out of memory for that.

I do have access to a cluster with 768 Gb of RAM which would not stumble in this problem (my WS has 16 Gb) but I can't seem to find any way to do this, which seems that should be quite easy to do.

Is there a way to do this?

3 Replies Last Post 2021年8月18日 GMT-4 10:55
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年8月18日 GMT-4 10:35
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年8月18日 GMT-4 10:48

Hi Guilherme,

Typically, meshing requires significantly less memory than solving. Consequently, if a machine runs out of memory while meshing, it is very likely that it would run out of memory while solving if you generated the mesh on a more powerful computer.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Guilherme, Typically, meshing requires significantly less memory than solving. Consequently, if a machine runs out of memory while meshing, it is very likely that it would run out of memory while solving if you generated the mesh on a more powerful computer. Best, Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年8月18日 GMT-4 10:41

Hi Jeff,

I agree with that. I would imagine that if I had a 32 GB of RAM it'd be fine. I will solve it using the cluster to avoid this memory bottleneck. My question was how to send the mesh generation to the cluster since I have much more memory there.

Hi Jeff, I agree with that. I would imagine that if I had a 32 GB of RAM it'd be fine. I will solve it using the cluster to avoid this memory bottleneck. My question was how to send the mesh generation to the cluster since I have much more memory there.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年8月18日 GMT-4 10:55
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年8月19日 GMT-4 15:09

So you want to mesh and solve on the cluster? OK. I had misunderstood your initial post. It makes more sense now.

Cluster computing is only possible with a Floating Network License, so make sure that that is the license type you have. If you do, one place to start learning about running COMSOL on a cluster is the Installation Manual, version 5.6: see page 74 and following. But there are many other resources that you'll find by searching for "cluster" on the comsol.com website, including this overview video and this Knowledge Base page.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
So you want to mesh and solve on the cluster? OK. I had misunderstood your initial post. It makes more sense now. Cluster computing is only possible with a Floating Network License, so make sure that that is the license type you have. If you do, one place to start learning about running COMSOL on a cluster is the Installation Manual, version 5.6: see page 74 and following. But there are many other resources that you'll find by searching for "cluster" on the comsol.com website, including [this overview video](https://www.comsol.com/video/cluster-computing-with-the-comsol-multiphysics-software) and [this Knowledge Base page](https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1001). Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.