Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to set the boundary condition in the RF module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I use RF module -> Hybrid Mode Waves -> Mode analysis to calculation the effective index of a metal waveguide in the air. However I need an additional condition for my problem. The additional condition is the continuuity of the "normal comopent" of the electric field. I don't know how to do it.

2 Replies Last Post 2012年7月16日 GMT-4 21:33
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月12日 GMT-4 13:14
I can't speak to the details of your particular model, but typically, Comsol Multiphysics will let you specify all the relevant boundary conditions. So if, for example, continuity of the normal component of electric field across a boundary is an appropriate specification, then the software will generally enforce it already or allow you to do so. Suppose, for example, that your boundary were simply a continuity condition (such as a non-physical "surface" in the middle of a problem, due to the way you built the geometry). In that case, both normal and tangential fields would automatically be continuous across it, without you having to specify that condition at all. On the other hand, if a surface were the surface of a conductor or dielectric, it would generally be a mistake to tell the software to enforce continuity of the normal component of E since, in fact, the normal component is generally discontinuous there due to the surface charge density. If this explanation doesn't help, you may need to explain in more detail the nature of your specific problem & model, so that people reading this can figure out where the issue is.
I can't speak to the details of your particular model, but typically, Comsol Multiphysics will let you specify all the relevant boundary conditions. So if, for example, continuity of the normal component of electric field across a boundary is an appropriate specification, then the software will generally enforce it already or allow you to do so. Suppose, for example, that your boundary were simply a continuity condition (such as a non-physical "surface" in the middle of a problem, due to the way you built the geometry). In that case, both normal and tangential fields would automatically be continuous across it, without you having to specify that condition at all. On the other hand, if a surface were the surface of a conductor or dielectric, it would generally be a mistake to tell the software to enforce continuity of the normal component of E since, in fact, the normal component is generally discontinuous there due to the surface charge density. If this explanation doesn't help, you may need to explain in more detail the nature of your specific problem & model, so that people reading this can figure out where the issue is.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月16日 GMT-4 21:33
Hi Robert,

Thank you for your response.

I have overcome this problem.
Hi Robert, Thank you for your response. I have overcome this problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.