Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Nighttime sky temperature radiation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am working on a 3D model of a wall with the Heat Transfer in Solids and Surface to Surface Radiation, using the results obtained for a comparison with other data I have. During daytime the results are consistent and very similar, however during nighttime the wall in COMSOL is hotter than it should be. After some considerations, I came to the conclusion that this different is due to the radiation with the sky that wasn't considered. Has anybody dealt with the nighttime radiation with sky? If yes, how? I wasn't lucky enough to find something in literature. I only found a tutorial example about the radiative cooling, but unfortunately that doesn't fit to my problem.

Considering that in the Diffuse Surface in the Surface to Surface Radiation only one temperature is required, at first I gave the air temperature and included the radiation with the sky in the convective heat transfer coefficient (calculating a sort of equivalent h - this gave good results).

I am now trying to set a different reference temperature in the Diffuse Surface (something like a weighted average between the air and the sky temperature), however with no results so far. Has anyone already worked with something like this or could give me some advice?

Many thanks! :)

0 Replies Last Post 2021年11月23日 GMT-5 10:47
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Eleonora Baccega

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.