Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

asterisk on the node icons

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am a new to Comsol and I am trying to understand someone else's model. I found that some of the node icons contain asterisk on it. The manual said that it means the node is under editing. However, I just open the file and did not change anything how can it be so? And I may I remove the "under editing" status? I have tried save the file, but it does not work.

7 Replies Last Post 2021年12月22日 GMT-5 11:00
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年12月17日 GMT-5 04:32

Hi Junfeng,

To remove any such asterisks for mesh nodes, for example, you need to rebuild the mesh. Saving and reopening a model does not change this state of the model.

For plot nodes with asterisks, you can remove them by clicking Plot to update all plots. However, the plots are typically updated when you click the plot node, for example, unless you have selected the Only plot when requested check box in the Settings window for the Results node. In this case, saving and reopening the model file will also update the plot, unless you have selected the Disable for models loaded from file (override saved) check box under Automatic update of plots on the Results page in the Preferences window.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Junfeng, To remove any such asterisks for mesh nodes, for example, you need to rebuild the mesh. Saving and reopening a model does not change this state of the model. For plot nodes with asterisks, you can remove them by clicking **Plot** to update all plots. However, the plots are typically updated when you click the plot node, for example, unless you have selected the **Only plot when requested** check box in the Settings window for the **Results** node. In this case, saving and reopening the model file will also update the plot, unless you have selected the **Disable for models loaded from file (override saved)** check box under **Automatic update of plots** on the **Results** page in the **Preferences** window. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年12月20日 GMT-5 21:17

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年12月21日 GMT-5 14:20

What if it is on the other nodes? It is on a curvilinear coordinate node and I did not see any button I can press or any empty section in the section I can fill to remove the "editing" status.

What if it is on the other nodes? It is on a curvilinear coordinate node and I did not see any button I can press or any empty section in the section I can fill to remove the "editing" status.

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年12月22日 GMT-5 04:11

Hi Junfeng,

In the case of physics interfaces (such as in the attached screenshot), the asterisk has another meaning: It indicates physics interface nodes that have been disabled in a study step. So, those asterisks are only removed if the corresponding physics interface is enabled in all study steps. This is also mentioned in the documentation (see the "Dynamic Nodes in the Model Builder" section in the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual).

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Junfeng, In the case of physics interfaces (such as in the attached screenshot), the asterisk has another meaning: It indicates physics interface nodes that have been disabled in a study step. So, those asterisks are only removed if the corresponding physics interface is enabled in all study steps. This is also mentioned in the documentation (see the "Dynamic Nodes in the Model Builder" section in the *COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual*). Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年12月22日 GMT-5 10:25

Magnus

Thank you very much! There are two studies in the model. The physics interfaces with asterisks are only used for one study. I tried to included them for both, the asterisks did disappear.

BTW When I included some physic interfaces into one study, a warning sign showed up in the table. How can I get the information about the warning?

Magnus Thank you very much! There are two studies in the model. The physics interfaces with asterisks are only used for one study. I tried to included them for both, the asterisks did disappear. BTW When I included some physic interfaces into one study, a warning sign showed up in the table. How can I get the information about the warning?

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年12月22日 GMT-5 10:56

Hi Junfeng,

This warning appears if you have selected the Solve for check box for a physics interface that is not compatible with the study type. The warning disappears if you clear the Solver for check box. Regardless of that setting, the study does not solve for that physics interface. In our latest version, 6.0, the Solve for check box is cleared and disabled in such cases, so there is no warning (and you cannot solve for it). In version 6.0, you also get information about the equation form for the physics interfaces in this table.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Junfeng, This warning appears if you have selected the **Solve for** check box for a physics interface that is not compatible with the study type. The warning disappears if you clear the **Solver for** check box. Regardless of that setting, the study does not solve for that physics interface. In our latest version, 6.0, the **Solve for** check box is cleared and disabled in such cases, so there is no warning (and you cannot solve for it). In version 6.0, you also get information about the equation form for the physics interfaces in this table. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年12月22日 GMT-5 11:00

Magnus

Thank you very much! I think these answer all my questions. How may I close this thread?

Magnus Thank you very much! I think these answer all my questions. How may I close this thread?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.