Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculate circumference of a deformed structure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In short, I want to calculate the circumference of a deformed structure (i.e., static deformation in solid mechanics). I have found a post in the forum (https://cn.comsol.com/forum/thread/14096/measuring-circumference-of-deformed-ring).

However, I calculate circumference using nonlocal couplings - integration with material frame, and I got a value which is apparently the undeformed circumference. I also evaluate the material coordinates (X, Y, Z) and the spatial coordinates (x, y, z), and found they have the same value.

I also tried the exact file in the above mentioned post (Block_test.mph). But I got the same value no matter using material frame or spatial frame.

Any suggestion about this?

Thanks

Ryan

4 Replies Last Post 2022年2月24日 GMT-5 05:17

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年2月22日 GMT-5 22:01

Okay. I guess I just needs to enable geometric nonlinearity.

Okay. I guess I just needs to enable geometric nonlinearity.

Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年2月23日 GMT-5 02:34

Also look at https://doc.comsol.com/5.5/doc/com.comsol.help.comsol/comsol_ref_deformedmeshes.25.05.html

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
Also look at https://doc.comsol.com/5.5/doc/com.comsol.help.comsol/comsol_ref_deformedmeshes.25.05.html

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年2月23日 GMT-5 04:53

Wait... the nonlocal couplings doesn't work with frequency domain analysis! Any suggestion?

Wait... the nonlocal couplings doesn't work with frequency domain analysis! Any suggestion?

Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年2月24日 GMT-5 05:17

I think you need to state your problem better. Are you doing static or frequency domain analysis? You can have non-linear geometry in the former. It is not that non-local couplings don't work in the frequency domain, it is your use of them, as I see it.

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
I think you need to state your problem better. Are you doing static or frequency domain analysis? You can have non-linear geometry in the former. It is not that non-local couplings don't work in the frequency domain, it is your use of them, as I see it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.