Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculation of Contact area

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone!

Pardon me if this is an easy question, but I'm new to comsol. I want to use the contact area in which the amount of contact stress is greater than a specific amount as a boundary condition in a subsequent analysis. In other words, I have a structural mechanics problem in which two surfaces are in contact with each other, and I want to enforce a boundary condition (in a subsequent analysis, of course) on the portion of one of the surfaces that is experiencing contact stress higher than a specific value. How can I approach this? Any ideas? Thank you all!

2 Replies Last Post 2022年4月12日 GMT-4 10:51
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年4月11日 GMT-4 02:43

That depends on what type of boundary condition you are going to use. If it is a Neumann condition, then you can just write an expression in the input field of the type

if(withsol('sol1',solid.Tn)>my_limit),my_neumann_expression,0)

Please check the exact syntax of the withsol() operator in the documentation.

If it is a Dirichlet condition, you can in principle use the same technique, but it is a bit trickier (since the value zero does not mean 'nothing'). You can find the details in this blog post:

https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-make-boundary-conditions-conditional-in-your-simulation/

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
That depends on what type of boundary condition you are going to use. If it is a Neumann condition, then you can just write an expression in the input field of the type *if(withsol('sol1',solid.Tn)>my\_limit),my\_neumann\_expression,0)* Please check the exact syntax of the _withsol()_ operator in the documentation. If it is a Dirichlet condition, you can in principle use the same technique, but it is a bit trickier (since the value zero does not mean 'nothing'). You can find the details in this blog post:

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年4月12日 GMT-4 10:51

Thank you very much! I'm going to put your suggestion into practice and post the results.

Thank you very much! I'm going to put your suggestion into practice and post the results.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.