Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Neumann BCs for Structural Problems

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Sirs,

I would like to have some informations regarding the Flux/Source BCs in Comsol 4.2. I have read that they correspond to the Neumann BCs. I am using two different modules (General PDE and Structural Mechanics) and compare the results. I am solving a pure traction problem on a rectangle in 3D.

I am modelling the material as incompressible and using Neo-Hookean law. Using the Structural Mechanics module, the imposition of the traction bc is easy using the Boundary Load option. In that case, I define a force per unit of area [N/m^2] and I get the proper results. When I use the General PDE module, I define my traction BC (Neumann type BC) using the Flux/Source BC. In that case, the correct general formulation is

-n flux = g - qu

where I set q=0 and g should be my forcing term. In that option the value is measured as N/m so I guess that I should insert the traction value I used in the Structural Mechanics module divided by a length. Is it right? How would you usually impose this kind of BCs?

Supposing that my approach of imposing the traction value divided by a length is correct, since the boundary face where the traction is applied has two length (in my case it's a planar surface) for which length I should divide the traction?

Many thanks,
I hope to have been clear.

Kind regards,

Paolo Tricerri

1 Reply Last Post 2013年10月23日 GMT-4 12:07
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Paolo Tricerri

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年10月23日 GMT-4 12:07
Hi,

I have the same problem. I cannot apply g=41000[W/m^2], and I don't know why.

Did you find the solution?

Thanks.

Marco
Hi, I have the same problem. I cannot apply g=41000[W/m^2], and I don't know why. Did you find the solution? Thanks. Marco

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.