Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finding the polarization of plane-waves

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi COMSOL community,

I hope you can help me answer a question that I haven't seen mentioned in COMSOL's documentation.

In the wave-optics module, using the Port boundary condition (type: periodic) to excite plane waves, COMSOL takes as inputs (under port mode settings) the azimuth- and elevation angle for the incoming plane wave and a vector for the electric mode field amplitude. How does COMSOL find the polarization of the input plane wave from these settings?

For example, say I want to simulate a plane wave propagating in vacuum, e.g. a domain consisting of a single block with the input port at the bottom so that the normal-vector is parallel to z, floquet-periodic boundaries on the sides, and an absorbing boundary on top. Let the electric mode field amplitude be parallel to the x axis, i.e. E0 = (1,0,0). For a general azimuth- and elevation angle, E0 is not perpendicular to the k-vector of the plane wave. However, the simulation output should have an electric field that is perpendicular to k to obey Maxwell's equations. So how does COMSOL calculate the direction of the simulated e-field starting from E0 and the angles?

Best regards, Anders

0 Replies Last Post 2022年5月10日 GMT-4 11:34
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Anders Simonsen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.