Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Voltage drop across a thin spherical layer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I’m modeling the voltage distribution for two mediums separated by a thin spherical layer. I’m using a contact impedance boundary condition to simulate the thin spherical layer that separates the two mediums (the inside and the outside of the sphere), and it seems to be working just fine, I mean the result is what I was expecting. The problem is that I also need to calculate the voltage drop across the thin layer, or in this case across the boundary, and I have no idea how to do that.

I only need the value of that voltage difference on the circumference defined by the sphere and the xy plane (or more exactly I need to plot it against the arc length), and not on the whole sphere. I don’t know if that is important.

I’m a fairly new Comsol user, and well I’ve checked several threads here in the forum dealing with similar topics, but I’m still completely lost, so I would really, really appreciate if somebody could help with this.

2 Replies Last Post 2012年8月13日 GMT-4 16:29
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年8月13日 GMT-4 02:16
Hi
Normally in "union" geometry Finish mode you have one common boundary between two domains (default continuity of flux), two up/down in Assembly mode (no specified default flux continuity).
When you add a surface physics (thin layers) then you again split the boundaries in an "Up" and Down" side, if you "just" ask for the boundary voltage you will get the average value. Check the up() and down(9 operators. Also note that on looped surfaces/edges, the up and down might change orientation, check carefully the normal directions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Normally in "union" geometry Finish mode you have one common boundary between two domains (default continuity of flux), two up/down in Assembly mode (no specified default flux continuity). When you add a surface physics (thin layers) then you again split the boundaries in an "Up" and Down" side, if you "just" ask for the boundary voltage you will get the average value. Check the up() and down(9 operators. Also note that on looped surfaces/edges, the up and down might change orientation, check carefully the normal directions -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年8月13日 GMT-4 16:29
Thank you very much for answering my question. Your advice was really useful; I was finally able to get the plot I needed. Thanks again :)
Thank you very much for answering my question. Your advice was really useful; I was finally able to get the plot I needed. Thanks again :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.