Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

simulation of nonlinear material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I'm doing a time harmonic (not transient) simulation of a nonlinear structure in RF 4.2a . the property (like refractive index) of the material varies with light intensity. I have two questions:
1. How to model the effect of the nonlinearity. I set the material property such as refractive index as a function of light intensity. It seems to work but I'm not sure if it is reasonable.
2. When the nonlinear effect becomes large the solution often cannot converge. How to handle this problem? I have used the direct solver.
Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 2012年8月24日 GMT-4 21:42
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年8月24日 GMT-4 21:42
This is an interesting question. Any non-linear response that could result in modifying the waveform (at anywhere at all in the computation space) away from a purely-sinusoid waveform should not work properly in a frequency-domain (i.e., single-frequency) model, since such a waveform naturally includes more than a single frequency. I'm guessing that that may be the cause of your problem, but I encourage others to respond also.
This is an interesting question. Any non-linear response that could result in modifying the waveform (at anywhere at all in the computation space) away from a purely-sinusoid waveform should not work properly in a frequency-domain (i.e., single-frequency) model, since such a waveform naturally includes more than a single frequency. I'm guessing that that may be the cause of your problem, but I encourage others to respond also.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.