Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Geometry modification changes model behavior

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a relatively complex model that is 14mm by 10 cm by 10 cm. It's a simulation of an evaporator for a heat pipe and features some inflow and outflow ports for the working fluid, water. One of the important phenomena is the temperature distribution once the water enters the device. The simulation runs convection and conduction and Darcy's law.

I realized I needed to make some small changes to the geometry of an internal feature. I expected a small but noticeable change to the temperature distribution mentioned above. I made the change by deleting the internal feature, rebuilding it, and then re-extruding it. After ensuring all boundary conditions and subdomain settings were correct, I re ran the simulation. The temperature distribution looked roughly the same, with an important difference: the liquid inflow was not having any effect on the temperature distribution (ie I was getting only conduction, and not convective effects). After checking this, I did not see anything that would explain this behavior.

I tried again, rebuilding the internal geometry to its original configuration and taking the same steps, to the same result. I noticed that the 'u_chdl, v_chdl, and w_chdl' weren't set in the subdomain settings for the water. Modifying this produced the desired change on the original geometry, but not the new, modified geometry. Multiple trys have not reproduced the result.

Any advice?

0 Replies Last Post 2012年8月17日 GMT-4 17:58
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nicholas Roche

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.