Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deflection of a beam using beam module

Shashank Balasubramanya

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am a new to the software and recently started doing my work in it and started to face an issue while modelling a beam using the beam module. to start with, I selected my dimension to be 3D and later selected the "Beam" in "physics" category and "stationary" in "study" category. I started creating the geometry and selected the "block" and entered the dimensions which I had. Then I assinged the material to the domain. After this step, I was instructed to assign the edges with the material rather than considering the whole block as one. Secondly, When I went tothe "Beam" physics, I had to apply a pressure to one of the faces of the beam, but the "Beam" phyics only allows me add edge load and point load. How can I add a pressure to one of the faces of the beam using beam module?

Thanks in advance,

Regards, Shashank

1 Reply Last Post 2022年8月8日 GMT-4 04:18
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年8月8日 GMT-4 04:18

Hi Shashank,

The Beam interface is used for modeling slender structural elements having a significant bending stiffness. Beams can be modeled on 2D boundaries and 3D edges, and you should then not add any solid 3D geometry objects when modeling the beam structure. If you want to model a beam in full 3D, use the Solid Mechanics interface instead.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Shashank, The Beam interface is used for modeling slender structural elements having a significant bending stiffness. Beams can be modeled on 2D boundaries and 3D edges, and you should then not add any solid 3D geometry objects when modeling the beam structure. If you want to model a beam in full 3D, use the Solid Mechanics interface instead. Best regards, Magnus

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.