Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Importing Mesh from Mesh Generating Software

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

For more complicated geometries I usually have trouble getting COMSOL to mesh my geometry. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck importing a mesh generated from another program. If so what package did you use to generate the mesh? What problems arose when COMSOL tried to solve on the imported mesh?
Thanks
Erik

3 Replies Last Post 2012年9月15日 GMT-4 05:25

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年9月12日 GMT-4 06:51
I have no experience with importing to Comsol, but from experience with other software packages: stay away.

I would estimate the likelihood of everything going as you want to be very low.

You will probably spend more time importing a mesh than it would take to mesh it in Comsol.

When you have complicated structures, meshing is very important, using an automatic mesh might increase computation time greatly.
I have no experience with importing to Comsol, but from experience with other software packages: stay away. I would estimate the likelihood of everything going as you want to be very low. You will probably spend more time importing a mesh than it would take to mesh it in Comsol. When you have complicated structures, meshing is very important, using an automatic mesh might increase computation time greatly.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年9月13日 GMT-4 12:18
Thanks for the reply. I was told that Cubit meshing software from Sandia National Lab was very powerful and often provided better mesh than built in meshers for many FEM packages(HFSS, COMSOL, etc.). I thought I'd bounce the idea of mesh imports off the experts here before I invest too much time. I appreciate your insight.

Erik
Thanks for the reply. I was told that Cubit meshing software from Sandia National Lab was very powerful and often provided better mesh than built in meshers for many FEM packages(HFSS, COMSOL, etc.). I thought I'd bounce the idea of mesh imports off the experts here before I invest too much time. I appreciate your insight. Erik

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年9月15日 GMT-4 05:25
Hi

but have you fully understood the COMSOL approach, with physics on the domains and boundaries (not on the mesh) ?

So with imported mesh, how do you map back your mesh to domains and boundaries ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but have you fully understood the COMSOL approach, with physics on the domains and boundaries (not on the mesh) ? So with imported mesh, how do you map back your mesh to domains and boundaries ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.