Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Water-filled Hollow (Shell) Cylinder Model Help

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone! I had a similar post a couple of months ago but I ended up never figuring it out. I am trying to model (2D axisymmetric) a hollow cylinder (a shell) that is filled with water. There is NO inlet or outlet i.e. the cylinder is capped.

There is pressure applied on the shell at both of those "capped" sides. To build the cylinder all I did was define a rectangle that is symmetrical around the axis. Defined all the boundaries as "shell" (giving it a certain thickness through the shell modulus) and defined the domain as "water" (maybe that's wrong?)

I have added fluid-shell interaction all around the shell (I had to specify laminar flow to do this). What I am trying to model is see the deformation of the shell at each of those capped ends due to the pressure and subsequent internal water flow. I've tried a stationary study which works but is definitely not accurate as in order for it to run I have to have a fixed constrain on one of the faces of the cylinder and also there is no water flow. For the time-dependent study, COMSOL doesn't converge.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I feel like this should be simple to do but apparently not. Any ideas?

0 Replies Last Post 2023年5月25日 GMT-4 14:12
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Penny

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.