Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic force calculations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I hope someone will have insight into the following issue I encountered: I'm modeling a system using the magnetic fields in the AC/DC module and would like to calculate the magnetic force on metal components in a field of an electromagnet.

It seems that the result is very dependent on the mesh definition (varying from 5N to 155N depending on the mesh made) so I was wondering what is the proper way to set up the mesh and check if it is appropriate?

I would appreciate any thoughts on the issue :) thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 2023年8月2日 GMT-4 09:53
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 months ago 2023年8月2日 GMT-4 09:53
Updated: 9 months ago 2023年8月2日 GMT-4 11:32

Hi Ivana,

magnetic force calculation is notoriously mesh dependent. Make sure you have a dense mesh where magnetic field gradients are high, like edges, corners, narrow airgaps and the like. Verify mesh convergence by parameterizing the mesh size settings.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Ivana, magnetic force calculation is notoriously mesh dependent. Make sure you have a dense mesh where magnetic field gradients are high, like edges, corners, narrow airgaps and the like. Verify mesh convergence by parameterizing the mesh size settings. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.