Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency Domain, Modal study: with spread parameter list type

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I'm currently working on simulating the frequency response of a resonating membrane and have encountered an issue during the third step, which involves finding the frequency response. So far, I've successfully completed the first two steps: Stationary and Eigenfrequency analysis.

For this step, I've chosen a specific parameter type, characterized by the following values: start = 0.95, stop = 1.05, and nb values = 200. This parameter setup generates a range of values like this: range(0.95, 0.10000000000000009/199, 1.05).

However, I've noticed that the peaks in the frequency response don't align correctly with the eigenfrequencies I expected. For instance, my two eigenfrequencies are 11e6Hz and 23e6Hz, but the observed peaks appear at different frequencies.

Interestingly, I've managed to get the peaks to align correctly by changing the parameter values to start = 0, stop = 1, and nb values = 200. However, this adjustment seems to defeat the purpose of using the initial spread parameter type.

I'm uncertain about what I might be doing wrong in this simulation. Any insights or guidance you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your assistance!

1 Reply Last Post 2023年8月28日 GMT-4 02:43
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 months ago 2023年8月28日 GMT-4 02:43
Updated: 8 months ago 2023年8月28日 GMT-4 02:51

There is a pecularity when using the Spread option: The eigenfrequency itself is removed from the frequency list. The purpose of this design was to avoid a zero-divide for potentially undamped problems. If you include a number like 1.00001 in the list, the peak for a damped problem will be found with good accuracy.

The design of the Spread option will probably be improved in the future in order to avoid this problem.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
There is a pecularity when using the Spread option: The eigenfrequency itself is removed from the frequency list. The purpose of this design was to avoid a zero-divide for potentially undamped problems. If you include a number like 1.00001 in the list, the peak for a damped problem will be found with good accuracy. The design of the Spread option will probably be improved in the future in order to avoid this problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.