Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem of manually defining multiphysics coupling in hydrodynamic bearing modules

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am working on a bearing with a flexible inner surface.

I have chosen the hydrodynamic bearing module to help me with my research.

However, I don't know how to define the clearance of the bearing.

Since the inner surface of the bearing is flexible, I have to couple the bearing clearance with the deformation of the inner surface.

I used a shell module and a spring foundation to model the flexible inner surface of the bearing.

Therefore, it is only necessary to couple the deformation of the shell to the bearing clearance.

However, according to the COMSOL help file, the clearance is a function of polar coordinates.

Where a is the coordinate of a point on the bearing surface along the bearing axis. phi is the azimuth angle of a point on the bearing surface with respect to the local y direction of the bearing.

I need to find out the relationship between clearance, a and phi as shown in Figure 1. But the result of the deformation of the shell lies in Cartesian coordinates as shown in Figure 2. The figures are in the attachment.

I tried to use the expression

where C is a constant and shell.u is the displacement of the shell. But the variable shell.u is the absolute value of the displacement, and it can't distinguish between inward depression and outward projection.

My question is, how can I make the displacement shell.u distinguish between positive and negative based on the normal direction of the surface? My question seems to be similar to the following case

https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/320572/Using-a-color-scheme-to-indicate-phase-direction-of-surface-displacement-revisited

However, the case is a flat surface, so it is easy to use the component of displacement instead of displacement, but this does not seem to be easy for cylindrical surfaces.

Or how do I convert the displacement calculations into polar coordinates?

Or can I get the coordinates after deformation? I tried using the material coordinate (X,Y,Z), but it seems to agree with the results of the spatial coordinate (x,y,z).

Thanks very much for your help.

0 Replies Last Post 2023年10月3日 GMT-4 09:24
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jake Liu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.