Phase Angle of mechanical displacement

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am modelling some mechanical part and performing a harmonic analysis. As boundary condition displacement is applied. The problem is, that I do not get any phase angle from the displacement. Also when using solid.uPhaseX the angle is always zero.

3 Replies Last Post 2024年6月4日 GMT-4 03:06
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年6月3日 GMT-4 11:54

If your displacement boundary condition is +1[m] (for example) this is a phase angle of zero. If you wish a phase angle of 90 degrees you would write +j*1[m], etc.

If your displacement boundary condition is +1[m] (for example) this is a phase angle of zero. If you wish a phase angle of 90 degrees you would write +j*1[m], etc.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年6月4日 GMT-4 02:36

To expand on Dave's answer: If there is any type of damping in the model, then the displacement will in general have nonzero phase angles, even when all loading has zero phase. Exactly at the driven boundary, the phase angle will match that of the prescribed displacement.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
To expand on Dave's answer: If there is any type of damping in the model, then the displacement will in general have nonzero phase angles, even when all loading has zero phase. Exactly at the driven boundary, the phase angle will match that of the prescribed displacement.

Posted: 3 weeks ago 2024年6月4日 GMT-4 03:06
Updated: 3 weeks ago 2024年6月4日 GMT-4 03:28

Thanks for the answer. The loading with zero phase is fine, the strange thing is, that the phase angle is 0 everywhere in the model

----solved now. I had no damping included!

Thank you!

Thanks for the answer. The loading with zero phase is fine, the strange thing is, that the phase angle is 0 everywhere in the model ----solved now. I had no damping included! Thank you!

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.