Issues when solving linear system in Frequency Domain study step when removing symmetry BCs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a COMSOL Multiphysics model in which I simulate an optical cavity with a high Q-factor mode around 194 THz. My goal is to first solve for the eigenmodes of the optical cavity using the 'Eigenvalues' study step. From this, I obtain the extact eigenfrequency of my desired mode. In a next step I would like to excite this mode using a 'Frequency Domain' study step. To do this I place a magnetic dipole in the cavity to excite this mode.

I first performed this sequence of steps on a model which uses a PEC (XZ plane) and PMC (YZ plane) to exploit the symmetry of my mode. Everything works well and in my simulation with the 'Frequency Domain' study step, I can see that I have excited the correct mode.

When I move the PMC boundary condition to investigate a design that is not symmetric in the x-direction, I can solve the 'Eigen Frequency' problem. However, when I now plug the eigenfrequency of my mode in the 'Frequency Domain' step, the simulation gives the following error:

The following feature has encountered a problem: - Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1) *Undefined value found. - Detail: NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using BiCGStab. *

I have tried the same for a model without any symmetry boundary conditions and got the same error. I have verified that the correct BC apply when I remove the PMC. Strange enough I get this error after the following lines in the output file:

Iter SolEst Damping Stepsize #Res #Jac #Sol LinIt LinErr LinRes ------- Current Progress: 71 % - Solving linear system Memory: 47703/48062 59739/60208 1 - 1.0000000 - 1 1 1 1 1.2e+51 1 ---------- Current Progress: 100 % - Solving linear system Memory: 5231/49874 9221/61944 Solution time: 262 s. (4 minutes, 22 seconds) Physical memory: 49.87 GB Virtual memory: 61.94 GB Ended at Jun 13, 2024, 10:07:23 AM.

Which seems to suggest that my model did actually work and solved the Frequency Domain study step. Can anyone help me understanding what is going wrong here?

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.