Flow Induced Noise

Joseba Martinez Lopez

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am modelling a multiphysics problem: the typical flow around a cylinder which creates a vortex street street behind the cylinder. This vortex then acts on the cylinder structurally speaking. I have coupled the laminar flow with structural mechanics and it works perfectly.

Now, my question is, can I couple this with acoustics to see how all of this affects acoustic waves? From what I've seen, it is only possible to couple it with LES.

Thanks in advance,

Joseba

1 Reply Last Post 2024年7月1日 GMT-4 13:36
Mark Cops COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 week ago 2024年7月1日 GMT-4 13:36
Updated: 1 week ago 2024年7月1日 GMT-4 14:05

Modeling flow-induced noise requires modeling the turbulent pressure fluctuations which are the source of the noise itself. This is not captured by laminar flow. In COMSOL, flow-induced noise can be modeled, as you mention, by using LES and Lighthill's acoustic analogy. You may have already seen this model, but this is the tutorial model available for flow-induced noise: https://www.comsol.com/model/cavity-flow-noise-105021 . Please note the LES part is quite challenging in terms of convergence, computational resources, and data storage.

-Mark

Modeling flow-induced noise requires modeling the turbulent pressure fluctuations which are the source of the noise itself. This is not captured by laminar flow. In COMSOL, flow-induced noise can be modeled, as you mention, by using LES and Lighthill's acoustic analogy. You may have already seen this model, but this is the tutorial model available for flow-induced noise: https://www.comsol.com/model/cavity-flow-noise-105021 . Please note the LES part is quite challenging in terms of convergence, computational resources, and data storage. -Mark

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.